Can´t find the conection between Arduino uno and Cayenne

Can you hook up the USB to your computer and watch the serial output for errors?

Hi Adam,
I am a beginner. I don´t understand the meaning of watching the serial output for errors. I checked the USB which connects to Arduino is correct: I can upload a sketch without the ethernet shield.
Please explain to me.

Thanks

You can leave the shield connected to the Arduino. The serial monitor gives helpful text as to what the Ardunino is doing when you press the ‘Upload’ button. It’s the little magnifying glass thing in the right corner of your Arduino IDE :slight_smile:
-B

1 Like

hi, i’m trying arduino and have some problems…

1. arduino uno with w5100 eth and tmp36 sensor: it lost connection yesterday, after 3 days of no problems, and site continued to report the device as available, and the temperature sensor with a fixed value… i even disconnected power and site continued to have device available!

2. arduino nano with serial usb connection to the pc that has internet connection:
    installed the basic sketch, opened the script to connect the serial port, device appeared on site… closed serial port script, then i added a tmp36 sensor to the device on site (with the relevant info), site give me the sketch but it forgot that the device was connected via serial usb and instead added to the sketch the lines for an eth connection, so uploading it breaks connection with the site… and was impossibile to delete the sensor from site, i had to delete the device entirely and restart from initial sketch…

and, is possible to use an enc28j60 ethernet module?

Hi everybody I signed in some minutes ago and I have the same problem. I have an Arduino Uno. In the setup I have selected Serial USB Connection because I do not have and at this moment do not have the money to buy an Ethernet Shield. I guess the problem is that I am running the Arduino IDE on an Ubuntu Machine and there you have to run it with root privileges to be able to upload sketches. Can someone help? Sorry for my bad English anyway. Many thanks and greetings from a little country called Switzerland! :slight_smile:

Hi @gaminder and welcome to the Cayenne community. No worries about your English, it’s actually quite good! Which of the many languages of Switzerland do you speak natively?

If you’re just having trouble with uploading non-Cayenne related sketches to your Arduino via the IDE though, maybe I can help. Are you getting any sort of error message when you try? Which sketch? I have an Ubuntu machine I could test it out on.

1 Like

Hi and thank you very much for your answer. I am from the German speaking population. But at school we learn a little bit of one or more of the other languages (French, Italian, Rumantsch). I by myself speak also a little bit of Italian and French but I understand more than I speak.
Whenever I tried to upload any kind of sketch I got a message saying that the command could not be executed (I am sorry but I do not remember word-for-word). After trying many different example sketches I went to the internet and asked uncle google for help. In different forums I found that a lot of other people have the same problem and they solved it running the IDE with root privileges. It really does not matter which sketch none worked before running as root.

1 Like

You don’t necessarily need root, but you do need to authorize access to that serial port from your user, like under the Please Read… section here → https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Linux

Running as root can cause problems as all your files are now root files…

Cheers,

Craig

1 Like

I should correct myself here, it looks like we do offer the ability to connect via a Serial USB Connection, something I’ll have to explore more later. I’m going to edit my original post in case anyone comes across it and gets confused.

I think this is unrelated to the issues you’re having uploaded sketches in the Ubuntu Arduino IDE, which sounds like it’s outside our platform if you’re reading about it all over the web.

edit: Looks like Craig is onto a better potential solution here. Let us know how it goes!

Hi , can someone help me. i create a button and click “add widget”. But this error came Out “Please fix the following errors:
Connection error”
it was working fine at first when i tried to create something else. It only happens after a few days when i tried to create a custom widget.What could be the possible reasons?
And i realize that the Arduino UNO icon is not light up.Normally it will have color correct?
Please help me.