Compatibility with DietPi

Hi,

Is this software compatible with DietPi OS? The iOS app doesn’t install the library. Can I take it with manually?

Thanks!

nemeth9

Hey @balazs.nemeth9, welcome to the Cayenne Community.

Right now we officially support Raspian Jessie and Jessie Lite for Raspberry Pi. I wouldn’t be surprised if its possible to get us running on other Debian based OS, and it looks like DietPi has at least some relation to Raspbian Jessie? I’m just learning about it now.

There is a command line install that you can get by installing through our web dashboard. I don’t expect it will work any better than the iOS install since the iOS app is basically calling the same commands behind the scenes, but I do think it would be worth running from the command line yourself as the iOS app isn’t set up to display any error message output that may be occurring, which you’ll be able to see from the command line.

To get to that web install that will show you the command line options to enter:

1. Log into your web Dashboard at Log in to Cayenne

2. If you’ve not added any devices to your Cayenne account yet, you’ll see a screen that looks like this where you can select to add a Pi: http://i.imgur.com/Q2dnwqo.png . Otherwise, you can do this via Add New > Device/Widget > Single Board Computer > Raspberry Pi.

3. Either way, if you follow the on screen instructions, you’ll get to a screen titled “Connect your Raspberry Pi”. Scroll down to ‘Option 2’ on this page.

4. In the option 2 section there will be two command line commands which will add the Pi to your account. Enter them (one at a time) by either typing them into your Pi’s command line or copy/pasting them from the webpage.

The first command downloads our Pi installer to your Pi and the second runs it. After the 2nd command is run, it takes a few minutes to install.

Hi rsiegel,

Yes, DietPi is a debian based minimal OS. I like it because available all of my SBC (Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid).
I tried both of the methods that you suggested. Here is a part of the installation log:

Build for Python 3.4.2 failed
ERROR: WebIOPi cannot be installed - please check errors above
(98%)
Mon  2 Jan 11:35:51 CET 2017 Configuring os and agent
(100%)
Mon  2 Jan 11:35:54 CET 2017 Install finished
Your system will reboot!

Do you know what is the problem?

Thanks!

Regards,
nemeth9

Give this a try if you haven’t already: Bug Filed on 07-26-2016: Build for Python 3.4.2 failed - #7 by toctopulus

Hi,

Thanks! I tried but the error message is the same.

Build for Python 3.4.2 failed
ERROR: WebIOPi cannot be installed - please check errors above
(98%)
Tue  3 Jan 16:29:34 CET 2017 Configuring os and agent
(100%)
Tue  3 Jan 16:29:36 CET 2017 Install finished
Your system will reboot!

Any other idea?

Thanks!

Regards,
nemeth9

Hmm unfortunately no, that was the only workaround I’ve seen.