ESP8266 Offline on Cayenne - OnLine in Serial monitor

My experience of this is that using the Cayenne-basic example code which sends messages to Cayenne containing the number of milliseconds since start up works very well. I’ve had it running for over a month without any issues. However, when I wrote my own code which sends messages at different intervals it was frequently if not always being shown as offline even though the data was usually coming through.

I re-wrote my code around this example:
Cayenne-MQTT-ESP/ESP8266.ino at master · myDevicesIoT/Cayenne-MQTT-ESP · GitHub so that my data is sent once every 10 seconds this seems to work much better. There seems to be some timing issue with the offline/online state reporting. I’m not sure whether longer or shorter intervals work better.

Thank you for letting us know @paul2 ! I did not consider it could be related to timing, and your observations will help our devs when they start to look into issue. Keep you updated on its resolution too.

Cheers,

~Benny

@samarchri @nicathesenov @paul2 @Tim_G_Tech I try to keep the ‘Bug Broadcast’ topic updated with the bugs that are being worked on and dates for their release…feel free to follow the topic and be alerted when I update it.

1 Like

Thanks Benny!

I actually figured out what my problem was. Everything in my case on Cayenne’s end is fine. I am using an Adafruit Feather HUZZAH Esp8266 with one of their relay feathers attached to the top. I was doing some troubleshooting and while the was nothing connected to the relay it never seemed to loose connection. As soon at I connected a light/120V AC to the relay, the connection dropped. The relay is right over top the antenna on the board. I think there is a magnetic field generated by the 120v through the relay interfering with the 2.4Ghz radio. So it seems like more of a design flaw.

I have two photons and an rpi connected and have had no problems.

Thanks
Tim

1 Like

Interesting discovery @Tim_G_Tech I would assume they probably expect people to use the relays for lower voltage applications.

On Adafruit’s website they mention the capabilities of the relay and switching radios, tv’s, small appliances etc. That might be what the relay is rated for but I wonder if they took into consideration the effects of having the relay right on top of the antenna?

Since re-routing the wiring its been working fine.

1 Like

@samarchri @paul2 @nicathesenov @Tim_G_Tech

Today we pushed a fix for the MQTT device online/offline issues that you each had mentioned here. When you have a moment, we’d love to get your feedback on whether this resolved the issue for you (are MQTT devices you expect to be online correctly showing in Cayenne as online, and are you no longer seeing any situations where the device shows “offline” even though its widgets are still updating with live data)

1 Like

So far so good for me as far as it showing up offline. Seems to be online all the time now. :ok_hand:

Just still have the issue with the schedule not working but I know you guys are working on that separately.

i reset my device this morning (lost data since 7:00 pm in France perhaps when you pushed fixes), and for now , on Web dasboard it’s ok !
BUT
on Android Dashboard i got difficult to get online and if it’s working : “server Error” displayed

Data are updated correctly.

It’s not lost, I keep testing :man_mechanic:

Be patient and all be ok on ESP-01 with MQTT ! :smile:

BUT my device send data all 30secs and if i refresh Web dashboard it goes offline …

… waiting 30sec for new data upload…

… Offline desapear and data uploaded BUT the top of widget are cutted !

So far so good for me too.
Both web dashboard and Android dashboard seem much better.
I have one device pushing data approx. every 10 seconds and another 6 pushing data approx. once a minute. All online and updating the dashboards.

As far as the Android devices showing ‘Server Error’, I’m seeing that on my end too and don’t believe it is related to this fix – we’ll need to address that separately.

As far as the cut off widgets in the browser – that’s a new one for me. What OS/Browser is it? Does it replicate in any other browser?

Ok wait for futur fix :wink:

Today the problem has not reappeared. :thinking: + “Offline/Online” issue is fixed , BUT cayenne dashboard get difficult to upload data this morning on CHROME v60 (win10):

How’s it looking now @samarchri ?

Looks like our servers were overloaded early this morning (around same time you posted). We’re going through some investigation now to see why.

~Benny

1 Like

Since the latest “fix”, everything seems to be working fine, at least for me!
(ESP, 9 widgets + 3 line graphs)

:smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for update @spacefolder! @samarchri looks like there are still some delays from our server side. We found the issue and are looking to push a fix soon.

@samarchri @spacefolder issue was resolved.

2 Likes

Yesterday all was good. Today showing offline again. Reset several times and still offline.

For now Cayenne Dashboard (Web) beginning very fast whithout Offline and responds as a flash to requests ! Good !

i add "time widget " sending by my device to know if there is a problem of delay with Cayenne, and now it’s very good !

i test Cayenne on 3 different PC : the only who cut the widget is because the monitor is a 1280x1024 pixels. i think it’s a resolution compatibility issue !