Linux kernel 4.9 - GPIO issue

Model: Raspberry Model B

Dashboard: Web (Safari OSX), App (iPhione)

Thanks to everyone, I can not run the GPIOs of my raspberry. I searched on the internet any possible guide but I can not solve it.

If a PIN from the shell works, but from Cayenne, no.

Do you help me?

Hello and Welcome to the Cayenne Community,
What kind of OS you use ? Also which version of Kernel?

:slight_smile:

Hi @matteobruschi and welcome to the Cayenne community!

This definitely looks like the behavior of our agent software when running on a Pi with the 4.9 Linux kernel. You can check your kernel version with the command uname -a

Please see this post for some options on how you can resolve this – either by downgrading the kernel to 4.4 (if you don’t need 4.9 – most people don’t), or with a beta Pi agent that doesn’t have this particular limitation.

We’ll be updating the main agent to have support for the 4.9 kernel in the near future.

Linux kennedy 4.9.24+ #993 Wed Apr 26 17:56:54 BST 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux

Can I go downgrade?

Linux kennedy 4.9.24+ #993 Wed Apr 26 17:56:54 BST 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux

Yup, that’s the 4.9 kernel I was expecting. To downgrade to 4.4 just run:

sudo rpi-update 52241088c1da59a359110d39c1875cda56496764 and then reboot when it is finished.

there is a problem… not work!

pi@kennedy:~ $ sudo rpi-update 52241088c1da59a359110d39c1875cda56496764
*** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
*** Performing self-update
*** Relaunching after update
*** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
*** Your firmware is already up to date
pi@kennedy:~ $ uname -a
Linux kennedy 4.9.28+ #998 Mon May 15 16:50:35 BST 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux
pi@kennedy:~ $

Very odd, it should be updating to the specific hashed version you are specifying. Could you share your output from cat /etc/os-release ?

Something else to check. You can get output like you described above if you run the rpi-update command I posted twice without rebooting. So it may be worth rebooting the Pi and running uname -a again to make sure it didn’t already update the kernel to 4.4

@matteobruschi

I ran into this issue today on one of my Pi’s, so now I think I have a solution for you if you’re still stuck with this ‘already up to date’ message. You can resolve it by:

sudo rm /boot/.firm*

then running the

sudo rpi-update 52241088c1da59a359110d39c1875cda56496764 once again. This time rpi-update should be able to grab the 4.4.50 kernel and update to it.

I’m going to move the thread to ‘Resolved’, but please let me know if it doesn’t work for you, or if you still have questions.

Now everything works! :wink:

Is it possible to access the management panel through the IP and not necessarily from the App?

Hello,
you can use also - Cayenne
Is this what you mean ?

Just wanted to let you know that we have updated our Pi agent to work with 4.9 Linux kernel. You can download this update by creating a new Raspberry Pi device, or wait for us to push out the update to existing Pi devices, which we will do soon.

~Benny

Just bumping one more time to note that the existing agent auto-update has been released as well. It’s totally a silent update, so there would not be any indication on the user side. Feel free to use rpi-update to move forward to the 4.9 kernel at this point if you’d like!