Help NewBie Connect Cayenne via EPS8266 Wifi Shield V1.0

Hello. I am new to Cayenne. Forgive me for my ignorance, I know this is probably the usual route into the Cayenne world. I am having trouble connecting with a Arduino Uno, staked with a breakout ESP8266 Wifi Shield. I have followed the step by step instruction but got an error - about “Serial1” was not declared in this scope"

I removed the “1” at the end, and the code compiled without an error.

I then uploaded it to my Arduino and I got an error (after a delayed uploading) - “Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.”

After several unsucessful attempts at resolving the issue, I disconnected the Arduino, removed the ESP8266 Wifi Shield and reconnected the Arduino to the computer via the USB. and I was then able to upload the sketch without an error. I then reattached the Wifi Shield and pressed the reset button…

but no cheese! Nothing is happening on the Cayenne Dashboard too.

I am running Windows 10 64Bit, IDE 1.6.7, Have installed CayenneMQTT Library, ESP8266MQTT, ESPSerialLibarary. my code is as below…

#include <ESP8266SerialLibrary.h>

//#define CAYENNE_DEBUG       // Uncomment to show debug messages
//#define CAYENNE_PRINT Serial  // Comment this out to disable prints and save space
#include <CayenneMQTTESP8266Shield.h>

// WiFi network info.
char ssid[] = "SSID";
char wifiPassword[] = "123456";

// Cayenne authentication info. This should be obtained from the Cayenne Dashboard.
char username[] = "<code from dash board>";
char password[] = "<code from dash board>";
char clientID[] = "<code from dash board>";

// Set ESP8266 Serial object. In this example we use the Serial1 hardware serial which is available on boards like the Arduino Mega.
#define EspSerial Serial

ESP8266 wifi(&EspSerial);

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  delay(10);

// Set ESP8266 baud rate
  EspSerial.begin(115200);
  delay(10);

Cayenne.begin(username, password, clientID, wifi, ssid, wifiPassword);
}

void loop()
{
  Cayenne.loop();
}

// Default function for sending sensor data at intervals to Cayenne.
// You can also use functions for specific channels, e.g CAYENNE_OUT(1) for sending channel 1 data.
CAYENNE_OUT_DEFAULT()
{
  // Write data to Cayenne here. This example just sends the current uptime in milliseconds on virtual channel 0.
  Cayenne.virtualWrite(0, millis());
  // Some examples of other functions you can use to send data.
  //Cayenne.celsiusWrite(1, 22.0);
  //Cayenne.luxWrite(2, 700);
  //Cayenne.virtualWrite(3, 50, TYPE_PROXIMITY, UNIT_CENTIMETER);
}

// Default function for processing actuator commands from the Cayenne Dashboard.
// You can also use functions for specific channels, e.g CAYENNE_IN(1) for channel 1 commands.
CAYENNE_IN_DEFAULT()
{
  CAYENNE_LOG("Channel %u, value %s", request.channel, getValue.asString());
  //Process message here. If there is an error set an error message using getValue.setError(), e.g getValue.setError("Error message");
}

What could I be doing wrong?

this library was made for esp8266 as shield for arduino mega which has Serial1 wheras arduino uno does not have. use software serial instead or try with this code.

//#define CAYENNE_PRINT Serial // Comment this out to disable prints and save space
#include <CayenneMQTTESP8266Shield.h>
// WiFi network info.
char ssid[] = “xequebo”;
char wifiPassword[] = “0”;

// Cayenne authentication info. This should be obtained from the Cayenne Dashboard.
char username[] = “0”;
char password[] = “0”;
char clientID[] = “0”;
unsigned long lastMillis = 0;

// Set ESP8266 Serial object. In this example we use the Serial1 hardware serial which is available on boards like the Arduino Mega.
#define EspSerial Serial

ESP8266 wifi(&EspSerial);

void setup()
{
//Serial.begin(9600);

// Set ESP8266 baud rate
EspSerial.begin(9600);
delay(10);

Cayenne.begin(username, password, clientID, wifi, ssid, wifiPassword);
}

void loop()
{