How Do You Read Data from a Liquid Flow Meter Using the RPi3?

Hey guys,

I have successfully been able to interface the raspberry pi 3 (running the latest raspbian distro [Jessie]) with a liquid flow sensor I bought from Adafruit Industries (here is the link to the flow sensor: https://www.adafruit.com/products/828). My problem is, is that I do not know how to receive output from the sensor in a workable form - right now the indicator widget I am using alternates between 0 and 1. I need something more than just ones and zeroes - feel like I should be getting back different values since the sensor operates using the Hall effect.

Anyone know what I can do to make this system I am working on more effective (meaning simply receiving output data I can use to model trends with from the sensor to the RPi3)?

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

Yours truly,

Jay

Unfortunately right now I think that’s about as good as it gets for the Pi. If you want to venture over to Arduino you could cache up info to a variable and write to a local database or file. There’s also the limitation of only reading the pin every 1 second, so it’s possible you will miss some events.

FYI… and if you are using it for beer, it’s going to be foamy :stuck_out_tongue:

Craig