How to Uninstall Cayenne

Hello there,

Is there a way to simply uninstall myDevices and webiopi (raspbian jessie) ?

Not yet

And a complicated one ? Or must I do a fresh reinstall of my system ?

If you want to completely get rid of Cayenne, yes, you will have to do a fresh image on your SD card. If you want to disable it, you can set the webiopi and mydevices service to not start on boot. If you just want to reinstall you can just generate a new install package and run the .sh and it will overwrite all your old settings. The only catch with this is that it doesn’t delete any of the devices you have added.

@CrazyCat We are working on getting an uninstaller released…we didn’t consider adding a easy uninstaller for getting Cayenne off the Pi until it was brought up in the community, unfortunately.

I was thinking the uninstall could have two options,

1. completely uninstall Cayenne
  2. completely uninstall Cayenne and then do a new install of Cayenne

How does that sounds to you guys, any other methods of uninstall? @ats1080s @Ian @picaxe

1 Like

@bestes, seems good, but with a small reserve: will the option “uninstall and do a new install” create a new identifier or redo the the previous installation ?
I think keeping the identifier is better, allowing users to redo an identical installation without loosing all his parameters. i.e.: if my SD card crash, I can easily retrieve my dashboard without having to reconfigure everything.

Typing this, I realize something: you need a third option: redo the previous install of Cayenne if it is not already installed. Do you think it’s possible ?

where are the services set to start on boot so i can disable them? i just tried my device and it is not that what i hope for so i want to get rid of it

thanks for your support

Hi, sorry to hear. What were you hoping for?

You can use this to fully remove myDevices. If you want to add if again, you’ll need to do another install

systemctl disable myDevices
rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/myDevices.service
rm -rf /etc/init.d/myDevices
rm -rf /usr/bin/myDevices
rm -rf /etc/myDevices/

@CrazyCat @ats1080s @christophertaeufert Hi guys, we’ve implemented an uninstall for removing Cayenne from your Pi.To uninstall, click the red ‘Remove Device’ button in the ‘Configure’ section. Please let us know of any issues. We’ll be releasing a small update to the process in about a week too.

1 Like

What i did on my PI

$sudo /etc/myDevices/uninstall/uninstall.sh

The program was completely deleted at that moment. No problems at all.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Keep us updated if you experience any problems with using that method of installation :slight_smile:
-B

I had installed a small custom python server, and after ‘Remove Device’ from the dashboard I’m still getting prompted for a password when trying to access my server over http, by ‘WebiOPi’.

Any tips there?

I may have missed it, but I would suggest a brief visual explanation of what packages users are getting with the initial ‘wget’, as there will be a lot of users like myself who have done strange things to their Pi’s prior to install.

I do see the promise of what you’re working on, and congrats on everything so far, I’ll be checking back in.

Removed my device using the Remove button, and still getting lots of requests from updates.mydevices.com.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks!

@ericgonz I noticed this question wasn’t answered, my apologies for the delay. If you didn’t see it since then, you can uninstall the Pi agent by running

sudo /etc/myDevices/uninstall/uninstall.sh

at a terminal prompt. If you’re still seeing requests from our servers after that, or run into any trouble running the uninstall, by all means let me know.

I’m bumping this since it gets asked a lot and we don’t have the most up to date information in this thread. To uninstall Cayenne, you just need to run two commands:

sudo /etc/myDevices/uninstall/./uninstall.sh

then

sudo /etc/webiopi/uninstall/./uninstall.sh

If you have trouble with these please start a new thread and we’ll do our best to assist.

1 Like

Hi, I tried the last method running the 2 uninstall scripts and I no longer see the python process hogging the cpu, but earlier I tried the “remove device” from the app and it didn’t uninstall the agent from my rpi 3 B.

Hi @bonacini.simone,

You’re correct, the mobile apps right now don’t uninstall the Cayenne Agent or webiopi. The Web Dashboard uninstalls the Cayenne agent OK, but not webiopi. I’ve logged each of these for future improvement.

Until that time, the best way to be sure you get all of the Cayenne bits uninstalled is to run

sudo /etc/myDevices/uninstall/./uninstall.sh

then

sudo /etc/webiopi/uninstall/./uninstall.sh

then remove the Pi from your dashboard on one of the 3 platforms.

Is there a new best way or are those two commands still the best way to uninstall cayenne? You also said something about creating an option so that you can delete cayenne and then reinstall it freshly. Has there been any improvement on that?

Those two commands are still the best way with the current Pi agent.

As soon as we get the new one out the door, you won’t even have to mess with command line uninstall anymore. The new agent uninstalls itself when you take the ‘Remove Device’ action from the Cayenne Dashboard.

1 Like