Multiple bugs over the cayenne android app

• Device & model you are using (Ex: Pi 2 Model B or Arduino Uno with W5100 ethernet shield)
    Raspberry pi 3 connected via Lan.
    Wemos 1D mini pro ESP8266*3
  • What dashboard are you using? (Web, iOS, Android)
    Web&android
  • Please describe the bug / issue as detailed as possible. Attaching the code and any relevant screenshots would be very helpful!
    The android app wont recognize devices and projects,wiping cache helps for several minutes and the problem comes back,icons disappear,icons changed their names to previous ones,widgets randomly changes places,devices shows as blank and so on…some examples:

Hi @omerdagan8,

I think everything you’re seeing here is the result of 2 known issues with the Android app. ‘Server Error’/‘Error Loading Data’ and the blank Arduino dashboards are all the result of a server change we made last month, which broke the Android app in unanticipated ways. We are currently testing a build that should resolve these issues, with a planned release date on Monday, March 6. I’ll be sure to update you and this thread at that time, and there will be an official announcement thread on the forum as well.

In the meantime, as you’ve discovered, many users are able to temporarily work around this issue by force stopping, then “Clear Data” on the Cayenne app from the Android application manager. We are aware that closing the app will trigger this bug each time, so we recommend to background the app rather than closing it when you’re not using it to try to avoid a re-occurrence of the bug .

The issue with the widgets re-ordering is an older known issue with the Android app. It’s being worked on in development as well, but I’m not sure if it will be in the Monday release. The ‘Server Error’ issue is much more severe and we don’t want to delay its resolution by trying to include other bugfixes in the build.

Thank you for your detailed report on these issues, and apologies for the current state of the app. We’re working hard to get these resolved for your so you can get on with using the app as it’s behaved in the past.

Please know in the meantime as well that the Cayenne web dashboard should have none of these issues and should allow you to use your Cayenne account with less trouble until the Android app issues are resolved.

good to know…

Hello @rsiegel,

Given there was update on 6 March, i am still having issues with the android app. I checked my app version and its 1.2.7- 81 on this side of the world… not sure what is for the rest. No updates showing on Google play.

Any updates on this.

Cheers
S

No update on my app either

1 Like

Hi, the problem still exists, latest cayenne update available on android play store 1.2.7

And the android app still have the server error.

All,

The related Android issues with:

• ‘Error Loading’ error message
  • ‘Server Error’ error message
  • Arduino dashboard showing blank on Android (no widgets)

should all be resolved now with an update made on our server side! :fireworks:

Please note that a new Android release was not necessary to fix this bug, so the latest build is still 1.2.7 at the time of this post. You should see improved behavior immediately when using the Cayenne Android app, but you may want to Force Stop → Clear Data → re-login one final time before trying to ensure a clean slate.

I’m going to move this topic to ‘Resolved’, but by all means we’d like your feedback if this fix did or didn’t work to resolve these issues for you, so feel free to keep posting here. If you have a new issue, or one unrelated to the bullet list I made above, I encourage you to create a new thread so your issue isn’t lost in all of the posts about this previous issue.

I wouldnt call it resolved just yet. I am still receiving the server error message intermittently today and my projects arent showing up in the android app. I have done the force stop and delete data as well.

Projects not displaying looks to be a new, unrelated issue that affects all platforms, not just Android. We have engineers working on it as we speak and expect a fix either today or tomorrow. I’ll update at that time.

I am interested in where you’re seeing the intermittent ‘server error’ messaging however. Previously we could reproduce this by closing the app, then relaunching and selecting a device from the device list. Do you still see it in that case? ‘Server Error’ is some default messaging built into the app and could be displaying for a different reason than the one we believe we’ve just fixed.

I have seen the server error message if i dont close the application and it is left on the devices page then the application goes the the background and then come back to it later. I get the spinning circle for a bit and then the red server error message on the bottom and the screen is blank.

Thanks for the detail. I will be on the lookout for more reports of this, yours is the first I’ve seen thus far. And you’ve Force Stopped → Clear Data since my post announcing this was fixed?

I just did the force stop, delete data thing this morning again. I will report if i see the issue again.

Still having an issue displaying my project though.