Node-red to Cayenne

I succeeded in connecting node-red to the thingsnetwork thanks to this manual:

Messages are send and received both ways

Next step is I want my ttn data to be send to a platform like Cayenne. I found a red-node app which acts as a mqtt client to cayenne:

I can’t find any docs about how to use it in node-red. There are three kinds of nodes:

• cayenne actuator
  • cayenne actuator feedback
  • cayenne sensor
    I fiddled around and get some progress with ‘cayenne sensor’. I connected it like so:
    ttn-message → cayenne-sensor
    …-> msg.payload
    I edited cayenne-sensor with all the right details I found on cayenne api page on my account with cayenne. Both nodes (ttn and cayenne-sensor) now show up in node-red as ‘connected’. But in Cayenne api I see consistently ‘waiting for board to connect’. The debug output is 1. the expected output from ttn-device 2. output from cayenne-sensor: “msg: string[18] Invalid value type”

What I probably miss is that I don’t know what value to use for ‘QoS’ and ‘Channel’. I tried a few things, but no succes sofar.

If anyone can help me on that would be great.

I haven’t tried the node that was created for Cayenne, but I can tell you that I have connected using node-red manually using the built in MQTT nodes and it works fine. See my post here

Will check above links but interested in Cayenne <> Node Red ideas and state of play if any good examples around
Thanks
~ Andrew

What kind of examples are you looking for?

Starting point would be for a student who has set up Node Red account, seen basics and would like to subscribe to a channel of data input, coming into typically a cayenne pi python based BYOD device.

NRed may not be running on the same Pi. Would just like to see this type of interface working as a great little edu JS excercise if nothing else.

Thanks

This has everything you asked about here Using Node-RED as a Local Fallback Server

I haven’t looked at this for quite some time so let me know if you run in to any issues.

Looks good, thanks for this. Will get back once I have this or similar ticking over.

1 Like

E nuova questa libreria?!

this is a node created by one of the community members. It is not a new one.

Some NRed screen captures and tinkering for now…

This is just some figuring out how to use NRed ideas. I hope to use it to do some signal processing that can then be fed back into Cayenne. In this case we are looking for presence of a penguin in it’s nest by detecting the small variation in temperature compared to an ambient temperature feeds.

~ A

1 Like