Raspberry PI monitor always shows 2.22Mbps

Device: Raspberry PI 3 B+

After default install, the network speed always shows 2.22Mbps and never changes.

I have double checked the network traffic using iftop and my router’s traffic analyzer and there is a few kbps of traffic sporadically.

try tail -f /var/logs/myDevices/cayenne.log and see if you get the changed network speed value in the logs.

There are no changes at all. I grepped the whole cayenne.log file and there iare only two mentions of ‘network’.

cat /var/log/myDevices/cayenne.log | grep network
2018-07-16 11:07:27 - myDevices - INFO - Executing regular download test for network speed
2018-07-16 11:20:30 - myDevices - INFO - Executing regular download test for network speed

Executing regular download test for network speed

Hmmm, maybe Network Speed is a measurement of available BW and not BW usage?

try cat /var/logs/myDevices/cayenne.log

Yes, I did that the first time. No mention of any bw usage or network parameters of any type.

Looking at the Network Speed gauge setttings the channel it is waiting for is sys:net;speedtest.
This channel never shows up in the logs. Also, I suspect that this parameter is not bw usage but bw available.

tagging @jburhenn for this.

@bborncr Correct, that is not a measure of current bandwidth usage. It is a speed test for how fast the network connection is at a given time. That test only runs once a day so you won’t see constantly changing values for that widget.