Request for Optional GPIO (Hardware) Pins layout

Hi
Just a suggestion / request as I do a lot of low level 'plugging wires onto the GPIO across to a breadboard / break out circuit board in my educational work.

• Could an optional GPIO skin / layout be provided with hardware 1 - 26 / 1 - 40 pin numbering system. E.g. Toggle into the WebIOPi mode type of graphic.

~ Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Looking into this!

-B

@bmeriwether Let’s put this in our roadmap.

-We need to be able to detect what model Pi so we can dynamically change the GPIO tab from between 40 pins / 26 pins.
-nice to have: provide additional GPIO skins, allowing users to select their preference. Okay to copy WebIOPi layout as the first additional skin we support. Based on Community feedback we can add additional skins to handle specific use cases.

Suggestions:

• I think since the B / B+ do not look like running make it just the 40 pin layout
  • I found the B and B+ worked this simple WebIOPi pi but indications are the early Pi B and B+ do not have the horsepower to run the main GUI and cool gadgets. On all thrree Pi here when I had all three running it was very responsive and worked well
  • There will be an instant recognition factor and starting out point for those familiar with WebIOPi if this option - suggest Tab as at present scheme is used
  • Education wise and as a general positive on this approach… The graphicness of the physical pins is important. Being able to ‘touch’ the pins on the Pi and on the screen and have the software / IoT idea Soo neatly aligned creates a real buzz. Gluing them together is the real ‘wow’ factor. It smokes my tyres and connects really well in presentations, tutes, 60 second demo’s. It works well
    ~ Andrew

Enter XXX.XXX.X.XX:8000 in your browser to access the menu for the original webiopi header screens.

Yes the x.x.x.x:8000 has been typed out into so many browsers this year on so many courses. I know it and use it a lot. I use this approach a lot as it is the fastest way to GPIO control I know of for people walking into a room, tute, kitchen table. Join wifi (via an open stand alone router) and go directly to browser etc. I am glad it is sitting there beside / behind Cayenne. I.e. I am SOLD on WebIOPi but I am here to drive the Cayenne project angle so if you can follow some of thee following ramble…

The main reason for the top post / topic is now a little in-direct. For you guys this is Low priority, passing comment and not essential for my work. Just that I have a stack of resources and teaching materials that DIL plug connect direct to the general (physical) pins17~pin26 via a 2,5 DIL ribbon plug connector. You will see these used for WebIOPi aand Scratch GPIO and Python pin and bit bashing tutes, templates, demo projects here:
University of Shed NZ
I was asking and wonder if the pins on the Cayenne image were able to be tweaked from the start up ALT0 and SPI to general digital DI-DO for my default simple leds and switches. There is no rush for this and I realise it would be a lower priority. Just asking.

I can easy work around this and have found my DIL plug connectors sit perfectly well down the bottom of the 40 pin GPIO header on the Pi. In fact it is easier for students and teachers to locate that end of the car park than pins 17~26 in the middle of the newer 40 pin Pi header. (17~26 was just historiccally the botttom of the older Pi GPIO DIL pin header.)

Slightly separate issue… I might be missing something but I have not managed to get more than one Generic DI and one Generic DO going from the Pi GPIO pins within the Cayenne setup menu logic. I Do want to use, show off and exploit the coolness of Cayenne GUI. A video might help general uses as part of the intro etc. I have only managed the one DI and the one DO from the prescribed pins available (GPIOxxx) that come up when using the setup tool. I did try putting odd extension names / suffix / preffix in but I might be doing this at the wrong place / stage of the process.

On road in Wellywood at the moment and will be home later today ‘Opo-Time’ and get my machine plugged in again.

~ Andrew

Mmm, I miss that.
GPIO header is only 26 pins on olders Pis.

@akaranfilian @svazir @bestes we need to fill a bug for that on UI side
Please tag me in the card so I can add complementary information for UI.

Already created. Added you to it.