Seabex One, a huge RC ship and my first project!

Good morning campers! I’m a Newbie to this community and a Simpleton to electronics! I’m not afraid to take on a challenging project though.

My father gave me a model ship that he bought 30 years ago as a kit for £2,000. He never even started it. Naturally, technology has moved on dramatically since then and I have plans to take full advantage of that. However, although my modelling skills are good, my electronics skills are non-existent. I’m hoping you guys can help steer me in the right direction.

The idea of creating a custom dashboard on my iPad to control all the features on the ship is exactly what I had in mind before I saw the Cayenne system. Here is a list of the features I want to control.

The two pairs of propellers, two aft and two forward, mounted in nacelles that turn through 180 degrees.

The crane, turn, jib, raise and lower.

Diving bell with divers, LED welding simulator, and tiny aquarium stone to produce fine bubbles.

Four water monitors with servos to independently control direction.

Helicopter with motor, lights and sound.

Rotating radar scanner.

Smoke generator for exhaust stacks.

Two anchors raise and lower.

Sensor to activate bilge pump and alarm in the event of a leak.

Full lighting throughout the ship.

And, importantly, automatic and manual control. Automatic would follow a preset sequence.

Adventurous? Probably, but I’m not afraid of that.

1 Like

Hi @grahamincastello,

Welcome to the Cayenne community – I think you’ll find a good mix of simpletons and gurus here, I’ve been known to wear both hats in a single post… :slight_smile:

This sounds like it will be a cool project to follow as you work through it, and you’ll learn a lot. Are you looking for suggestions for specific motors/ligths/sensors to start on some of these items with? Have you decided on Raspberry Pi or Arduino to drive it yet?

Very kewl!
-What you want is the ULTIMATE remote control.

Everything you described can be done relatively easily,
it’s just a matter of complexity.

you can use a MCP3008 chip for analog/joystick inputs,
but it would be better to have a “glass control panel”
rather than physical joysticks. Just my opinion.

You can control SERVO motors using the PCA9685 chip.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nxp-semiconductors/PCA9685PW-Q900,118/568-5931-1-ND/2531218

This single chip can control up to 16 remote “standard” PWM servos-
(NOT the “newer” digital servos- it doesn’t work, I tried),
-and you can have up to 6 chips on a single IoT WiFi receiver. :wink:

I can’t help you with the software, but I CAN help with the physical electronics hardware-

Thank you. I’m planning on using an Arduino to drive it. I think I’ll try
to get the crane functioning first as it has a good mix of motors and
lights.

That’s very helpful, thank you. As I have two pairs of props, back and
front, I was considering using these joysticks.

I’m aiming at using an Arduino and my iPad Air.

I’ll probably need as many channels as I can get!

I personally would lean more toward a Raspberry Pi3 for the remote. Much more memory and capabilities… To take advantage of the I2C and the (2) SPI interfaces. Also, the Pi3 has a faster CPU. Lastly, the Pi has integrated Wifi. Personal preference, though.With all the control channels you require, I don’t think an arduino could keep up-you may have to use several Arduino units…

A nice DC motor controller for the Arduino- a bit pricey, though- $50