Support for 433 Mhz sender / receiver

The raspberry pi is often used für homeautomation. For example you can control your radio receivers with the pi. The most radio receivers work on 433 MHz. You can support some send / receive modules in cayenne :slight_smile:

Within that the user should can configure the parameters to send and so on :slight_smile:

I am a strong supporter of this idea. Only wire jumpers are needed to make it work. I look forward to a simple py serial link to allow our student projects access Cayenne. At present we use webiopi or Weaved to access the com port ttyAMA0.

Here is next years project i im helping a school with: IoT in a Vineyard.

The concept is running on test right now ready for 2017 students who will make what we call ‘Data Catchers’ Each met/ag/horti instrument is made up from just a few descrete components for <$10. Once calibrated it has a simple $5 ASK 433MHz radio put on it. It links in to join the home brew mesh protocol which is an ultra low data / power protocol. The whole instrument idles in singke digit to ~1uAmp and only needs to send a uData packet at an appropriate rate (seconds to minutes) Through to One Pi. It works a treat for kids and I would Love to be able to share it in Cayenne. Can the com port can at minimum be made viewable in Cayenne or better a simple py sand box be made avail where a simple serial.py readline statement pokes ‘data’ into virtual generic Sensor / Actuators. All idling off 3xAA batteries for years or a hacked solar garden light 24/7

Quite a few people and schools here are now using this simple direct approach. Every one are having to make all sorts of server and manual MySQL / server GUI set-ups inside or out of the pi to essentially duplicate Cayenne. E.g.

The hard way is good for learning but I am sure a lot of people would like the concept. Esp the maker community. There would be a heap of positive spin off, learning and completely new approaches.

~ Andrew

Very nice :slight_smile: But it isnt only the 433 MHz modules, also 2,4 GHz and Bluetooth :slight_smile:

Yes, choose bandwidth by all means. Main thing we are after setting up and here is to get kids operating at the ultra low level (and simple) base electronics data concepts. One chip + One ASK RF Tx sort of a device. Idea is to make a project and data packet from scratch. Benefit of this is hands on deep learning and understanding. We seem to be able to end up with low cost uAmp projects that fit inside and easily powered off a cheap solar garden light.
~ Andrew