Support more operating systems

Hello Cayenne community, I would like to make a suggestion! Currently, Cayenne only supports Raspbian for operating systems on the Pi. My suggestion is that Cayenne could also support other operating systems like Ubuntu MATE, which is what I use, for example. I hope you guys will take my idea in consideration, and thanks!

@TheGamingStar, have you tried running the installer on MATE?

It may just work. I know the development teams are working hard the higher priority stuff, but for instance Jessie Lite is now supported through assistance from @jaredk on this forum.

If you get it working, you just might become internet famous like Jared :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did not know that there is an installer for it, could you link me to it? Thanks!

You can just go through the normal install process. The installer is simply a .sh file so it will run on any linux OS.

Welcome to the community, @TheGamingStar

We’ve actually had a handful of people looking for Ubuntu MATE support, but haven’t had a chance to try this internally yet. Definitely let us know how your attempt goes, good or bad – consider me a resource to help you through it, and with the Cayenne platform in general.

1 Like

It will run but the gotcha is hardware support. There is a driver within Cayenne that known how to deal with the RasPi I/O. Once file I/O support is released, it should be a lot easier to make it generic as it will rely on user drivers.

Then all will be right in the land, unicorns will return to the earth, and there will be great joy and merriment. - The Book of Craig, Chapter 6, Verse 17

1 Like