Submit Your Cayenne Projects! [contest ended]

Hi wanna submit my project, and this is just very simple.
Don’t know this project can be participating or not.

And this is the link :

Will create more IoT device that useful for home use.

2 Likes

yeah it’s true. i try using unused cellphone wall charger on this project and it’s small enough to fit.
or we can make simple smps without transformer that we know it can reduce more size.
I found a simple circuit, just control the v out to needed voltage with step down dc smd part.

-where do I send the $50 just to participate? :wink:

1 Like

you kidding me sir? hahaha. :smiley:
i’m waiting for the @bestes officially reply.

1 Like

I think the project is great! And a perfect use for the ESP8266 device. Can you PM me a PayPal link or the email address that I can give the Participation prize? :slight_smile:

Welcome to Cayenne…hope to continue seeing you around. We have some exciting things being released in near future, like our MQTT API.

-B

Air quality sensor using MQ135 was done and will create the other project for my smart home :smiley:
This is the link :

I wanted to.

But I’ve faced so many bugs I couldn’t complete my project.

Sorry to hear that, what bugs are you seeing?

• Widget setting, changing and removing.
  • Code generated.
  • Latency.
  • Slow GUI.

Can you explain a bit more what you’re having problems with?

I’m reviewing Cayenne as I did for many other IoT services in IoT Services: Which Solution?

The website is very clean but requires a very large screen. A 15" screen isn’t large enough.

I was surprised not to found the Arduino.CC Zero. Instead, the Arduino.ORG M0 and M0 Pro are listed.

The code generation is a good idea, especially for the WiFi or Ethernet initialisation. Unfortunately, when adding a widget, the code forgets about the IoT interface and no longer includes the WiFi or Ethernet initialisation.

Most of the boards don’t provide enough Flash and RAM for Cayenne, due to the required libraries like WiFi or Ethernet, plus Cayenne. Go directly for the Arduino.CC Zero, Arduino.ORG M0 and M0 Pro, Arduino Yun.

The virtual ports offer the same logic as with Blynk.

Contrary to Blynk, Cayenne doesn’t provide direct management of the pins. For example, linking a relay on digital pin 5 generated code based on a virtual pin (V1, already used) to command digital pin 4 (instead of 5).

#define VIRTUAL_PIN 1
#define RELAY_DIGITAL_PIN 4

CAYENNE_IN(VIRTUAL_PIN)
{
    // get value sent from dashboard
    int currentValue = getValue.asInt(); // 0 to 1

// assuming you wire your relay as normally open
    if (currentValue == 0) {
        digitalWrite(myRelay, HIGH);
    } else {
        digitalWrite(myRelay, LOW);
    }
}

Selecting a pre-defined sensor is a good idea. The website generates the code to copy-paste on the Arduino IDE. However, some options are not available, like relative humidity with percentage as unit.

There is another problem with the automatically generated code. When I changed one of the parameters of a widget, I didn’t manage to obtain the updated code. It was easier to remove the widget and add a new one, except the removal procedure didn’t work.

Awesome! Will send you PM with the participation prize :slight_smile:

-B

I seem to be able to open it on my android fine. When you reference screen size, do you mean using a web dashboard?

Where did you find the M0? it’s not officially supported.

I haven 't had any problems with flash memory yet, what specific configs are you using?

I’m not following you here. Cayenne uses Blynk, but it is not Blink. You have to define the virtual pin in the dashboard then use it in your code.

I’m not sure I’m following you here, can you share the code?

1 Like

The Uno, Leonardo and other AVR-based boards don’t provide enough memory for Cayenne and WiFi. I took the Pro and used the Arduino M0 Pro.

The code was taken from Cayenne. First screen shows the parameters I’ve entered, and second the code generated.

I’ve tried Cayenne for 4 hours now but it doesn’t compete over other solutions. Sorry.

Created the one project again. So simple but i think it’s very usefull :smiley:

The sketch looks ok to me, what were you expecting to see?

Three things:

• The generated code includes CayenneEthernet when the connection is handled by CayenneWiFi101.
  • I asked for pin D5 and Cayenne defines RELAY_DIGITAL_PIN 4.
  • Cayenne uses VIRTUAL_PIN 1 which is already used by another widget.

Create another one to complete step the smart home system.

• I agree it would be nice to have the initial config saved and populated when adding new sensors.

• I’m not sure why it’s defining RELAY_DIGITAL_PIN 4, it is not needed.

• VIRTUAL_PIN 1 is created for ease of adding new sensors/actuators. Basically Cayenne sends which pin it should write to the virtual pin and it doesn’t matter if it’s 1-53. In your case for pin 5 it writes the pin when it receives the message >dw50/>dw51 (off/on). You can completely take out the code below and it will still work.

// assuming you wire your relay as normally open
    if (currentValue == 0) {
    digitalWrite(RELAY_DIGITAL_PIN, HIGH);
    } else {
    digitalWrite(RELAY_DIGITAL_PIN, LOW);
    }

I also agree! We will make update to Cayenne in future, where we can remember what shield you selected, and then make sure to use that shield in the sketch file that we auto populate.

We will fix that file, I don’t quite know why Pin 4 was selected for the relay, but regardless, it can be changed to whatever pin. Great feedback @rei_vilo & @ats1080s !

-B