Try to use AD5254 board

Hi, I just started with Cayenne and hope, someone is willing to help me how it works.
I have for my raspberry pi an i2c board https://shop.controleverything.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/i2c-breakout-for-raspberry-pi-with-inward-facing-i2c-port
and a 4 channel Potentiometer board https://store.ncd.io/product/analog-devices-ad5254-digital-potentiometer-4-channel-256-position-i2c-mini-module/

how can I manage them via Cayenne?
BR Rafi

I think Arduino or better : ESP8266 board based is better than RPI for this sensors.

Begin with this : Getting Started with ESP8266 using Cayenne's MQTT and comeback to show us what you did.

Many thanks, I have seen that so far, but I no clue which one is the right for me and I have to select for this board I already have

Which Version would you recomend to pickup for this constelation?

@adam any idea in this.

What do you want to do exactely ? Use sliders on CAyenne to change potentiometers on AD5254 ?

I have differend boards, for e.g. a
1x PCA9633 CREE RGB Spotlight LED I2C Mini Module,
2x AD5254 Digital Potentiometer 4-Channel 256-Position I2C Mini Module
1x AD5669 16-Bit 8-Channel Digital to Analog Converter I2C Mini Module

so a LED Board for indication, 8 channels of programable resistor (for diming applications and so on)
and 8 channels for switching.

I Need to understood what the boards can do and how.
As well how I can connect them all together in a bus. And manage them

later on, I need a webgui to Switch on and off, indicate and set the resistor value.

So I think I should start with one board to find out how it works step by step

Yes, try with simple code on your RPI, to make your board working first.

okay and how?
Just for my understanding, the board (I2C shield) which is connectedto the raspberry Pi
https://shop.controleverything.com/products/i2c-breakout-for-raspberry-pi-with-inward-facing-i2c-port
does it has a Name under Arduino? In Cayenne I see I have the choice for e.g. Arduino Due, Arduino Leonardo, Arduino Mini and many more. Have I to select one of them here or does it Needs to install a Driver on Raspberry Pi?

this is just a “connector” not a microcontroler like arduino.
All board you want to use , with Raspberry, are not in the compatible list without coding your Raspberry !
Did you know programming in python ?

i think , before you connect to Cayenne , try to begin with your raspberry with simple code like light an Led . read this :

After that you could try to use i2c library, ( example With am2315 : http://sopwith.ismellsmoke.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/PI-How-To-AM2315.pdf)

As you see it’s not easy for beginners !

Well yes, I maybe started to optimistic.

I saw this page https://store.ncd.io/product/cayenne-raspberry-pi-weather-station-kit/
where you can order a Weather Station kit, managed by Cayenne with this short guide:
Cayenne IoT Cloud Quick Start Guide - ncd.io

“If you want to controll your house appliance, sensor temp, humidity, light and monitor power the you can use Cayenne and CE device and build it all by yourself in few minutes.
So let’s say you want to control 8 devices in your house, to do that all you needs is a Raspberry Pi, Raspberry Pi I2C shield and a 8 channel Relay board. All of these device you can find on CE store. To monitor humidity & temp and light you can pick a suitable sensor according to your requirement from CE.
Setting up the hardware is so easy all you need to do is plug the i2c cable and plug the I2C adapter into your raspberry and connect rest of the hardware with your pi. Once all the hardware is connected and powered up for a quick test you can run i2c scan command and you will all those devices listed on your screen.
Now we have all the hardware setup we can login into cayenne and setup the UI according to hardware. CE relay board usages MCP23008 digital IO expander to control and this MCP23008 is supported in cayenne so turning on/off devices using your phone will be a few minute task.”

Of Course I have not order this kit, I have not the same addon boards ordered and an older Raspberry, but it sounds such simple with " Sudo i2cdetect -y 1" and than go to the Cayenne Dashboard and “add New”…
and here I failed, how to pickup the correct “sensor boards” I have.

Have I to add I2C Shield for Arduino Uno as well?

Would be glad, if some could assist to solve my brain puzzle.

2 possibility:

1. you wait that the cayenne team included in the various cards (temperature, relay, …) your cards: potentiometer + RVD LEd Etc …, so you can use them without programming anything… But you will have to be very very very very very patient.

2. You search the various tutorials on the internet to program Raspberry and use your cards by the connection i2c, and AFTER transmit your data to Cayenne.

If I were you, I would start by asking the Raspberry community who can better help you on the Hardware part.

Then we will be able to welcome you to our community.

Go to work :wink:

No, use only boards you have.

1 Like