Node-RED / MQTT API

I don’t disagree about the interface of cayenne however some people really only need a few web buttons and some temp readings which can be an acceptable trade-off for not being dependent on the cloud.

weaved now called remot3.it creates a service similar to cayenne’s on my raspberry pi that allows me to connect to any protocol and port on my rpi from the web as if I was on my local network.
so i can pull up the node-red config on my phone if I wanted or any locally served web interface without opening my network up to the internet.

I see what you mean, but I wouldn’t really consider that to be a Cayenne node-red node. It’s more of an MQTT node with some built in topic generators. I suspect most people would be using this node to connect directly to Cayenne.

I think that will be coming later, so may very well be worth it to keep it in or just comment out for now.

Maybe we can get the Cayenne team to host a json file with all the data types that we can grab that way there is no need for updates. As they release new ones the node just brings in new data types.

Node now in NPM proper:

cd $HOME/.node-red
npm install node-red-contrib-cayenne-mqtt-client

Temporary OneDrive source deleted.

Hello Michael,
The node-red nodes makes me really interested.
You mentioned you want beta testers… I’m on!
The OneDrive share seems empty:-(
Are they available anyware else?

Thanks!

Sorry!!
The answer is to find in the last post.

I’m actually not seeing it on the npm repo. @mikejac can you check to see if it is public?

Hmm, it’s here: node-red-contrib-cayenne-mqtt-client - npm

(downloaded 25 times, not by me :slight_smile: )

You should wait a bit - version 0.0.2 is on its’s way…

I was looking at the node-red repo. It should show up in https://flows.nodered.org/ if packaged correctly.

Ah. Haven’t added ‘nodered’ into the keywords-section, so it shouldn’t show up just yet. Think version 0.0.2 will have the keyword …

1 Like

Version 0.0.2 will be ready later today …

Version 0.0.2 now available :slight_smile:

https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-cayenne-mqtt-client

Go test it…

1 Like

@mikejac @adam @bert-ake @nitrogenwidget how’s this going guys? :slight_smile:

-B

I’m off the rest of the week and it’ll be above freezing so I can hook everything up without my fingers falling off. :slight_smile:

Also I did get the mqtt example to work just fine with cayenne and have been reading about node-red and how to create an html MQTT dashboard i can use to inject data into node-red or I think to activate a set of triggers and deactivate triggers?

So hopefully that will work for me and my gimped blackberry phone that can’t run the android app.

Just need to set up a 2nd RPI to use for learning this stuff since i don’t want to be messing with the hot-tub server after I hook it up and all this is new to me.

You were holding out on us! cayennejs - npm I’ll see if I can make a custom node that requires this one.

if someone can show me a really cool implementation of Node Red + Cayenne, Ill pay $200. But, it can’t be some janky 1 hour project. Show me something cool that the rest of the community is blown away by. Boom, throwdown!

What kind of stuff are you looking for?

…this is a tough crowd. Trust me!

Yeah, I have come to that realization too. I owe a lot to Cayenne because it was the first app that allowed my existing devices (Pi Charlotte and Charlette) to function.

Home Assistant is certainly more flexible, -but with great flexibility comes great complexity.
Blynk seems to be a “pay to play” solution.
There are several MQTT home automation packages on Google Play- but I haven’t seen many that can handle 25 or 30 remote I/O devices well.

I’ll need to get a Home Automation package set up soon to replace Cayenne. A “cloud based” solution simply isn’t an option. I have NO internet availability in Yorkville. Dang, I gotta make my own electricity (18) 230 watt PV panels, 2 Magnum MS-PAE inverters, …gotta pump my own well water, …using LPG for water heating, kitchen appliances, clothes dryer, central heat and generator fuel. WAY off-grid!

My new home passed it’s in-wall inspection in mid December. The sheet rock is installed, the walls are now closed up, textured and painted. The HVAC air handler and registers are in, my low voltage wires are tucked behind the wall boxes, ready to be implemented, and the gigabit wires are in. My LV and data backboards are laced. Power supply is installed. I will finish my home with “standard” electrical switches and receptacles, -and retrofit my IoT PC boards after my final inspection (I figure around May of 2017). My next inspection is ceiling fire sprinklers (flow switch test), gas pipe pressure test and smoke/ CO detectors. After that, I’ll remove the “temp power” setup and start trimming out my electrical fixtures…then it’s kitchen installation time.

If all goes well, it will be one very awesome fully wired high tech residence. I’ve already turned down 2 offers to buy the property for $1.2M, even as it’s not finished yet.

I sure wish Cayenne could have been a part of it.:disappointed_relieved:
Cayenne helped me develop my PC boards and test them all, and Adam was the one who suggested I develop PC boards for the Esp12-e. Excellent heads-up, Adam. Thanks.

Using the Pi for home automation is like using a sledge hammer for a fly swatter…yeah, it works, but it’s big-time overkill. The cost of a complete Allie or Avonelle is, like, $18 (in prototype quantities), and about $10 if mass produced.

-Ain’t land developing grand! :confused: