Android & iOS Mobile App (Deprecated)

Hello Cayenne Community,

A quick update from the Cayenne Team. As some of you have noticed, we are not longer supporting the Cayenne Android & iOS application. As a result, we have removed the mobile applications from the Apple and Google Play Store. Going forward we are focusing solely on our Web application and converting it to a Progressive Web Application (PWA). With the new PWA app, you’ll never need to do an app update again, you’ll always have the latest version, and you’ll have the same great experience on every device.

If you have any questions or concerns let us know.

Stay safe!

Do you need some dev help with PWA (workers, events…etc?)

@ognqn.chikov PM me - we can always accept help :wink:

While I am glad to see that you are working on an improvement to the user experience. You should deprecate something that people are using without advanced notice. People have been reporting the app being missing for weeks now and then you release this post. Notification should be made upfront and if possible maintain support for existing application while working on its replacement, even if the support is on limited. That is the way to improve and make sure your customer are taken care of as well.
Is there a ETA on the new user experience?

2 Likes

Perhaps an Edit of the intro Doc on your site before the removal of the apps would have been a good idea! It suggests the mobile app as the easiest way to start… which is what I’m trying to do and was getting very confused by failing link to google store.

Hopefully will be able to proceed with web version

Regards

Peter

@cjls190-pi we have not stopped the app for users who already have installed the app. It is only that the app has been removed from the app store so that no new user downloads the app. When the PWA is ready we will give a prior announcement about it.
@pjjl sorry for that, we will remove it from the docs. You can use the cayenne web browser from now on.

Good bye cayenne, good luck on your future ventures.

1 Like

Hi, I have android app installed and it don’t work on my android 4.4.2 tablet. I cannot login. There’s server error. I have to use web dashboard but this is very poor experience. I have to login every time when tablet screen is off and always I have to resize dashboard because widgets are very small. I found better solution to use shared link from my dashboard, I can make fullscreen but after screen turn off for few minutes I also see login screen. Why do I cannot use shared dashboard all the time without returning to login screen?
Regards Przemek

@coffeytc we are working on PWA, so stay tuned.
@skweresp can you private message me your account details.

Disappointing as it was one of the things that decided me to sign up (today!).

Is there any chance of publishing a roadmap please ? I’m trying at the moment to work out whether I want to use Cayenne long term. It looks like many of the features that made this top of the list no longer apply.

I like the product and it has great potential, but I need to know whether or not to invest my time and effort into it.

Regards

Vic

there is no ETA for PWA. you can use the cayenne on web dashboard until it.

And a roadmap ?.

cant share,

My god, shramik, are you guys intentionally trying to lose business? By the way, I got the pesky LED to work.

I think what makes a first in class company is its ability to listen, react on constructive criticism and to adapt quickly to the changes. But mostly, to be transparent with their customers which are the ones who will use and promote your products for free. We are the ones who may, or may not recommend the product! With that said, the way the news are presented in this forum, give the impression that there is a lack of commitment with the end user. As someone said, it gives the impression that the cayenne team don’t care if they lose business or not.

To give an example, I was following a thread regarding a text widget for sometime. We were informed that the widget was coming, several times. We waited, month by month, and after several years we were informed that the text widget will not come out! This shows a serious lack of credibility I might say! Sorry, but this is what it looks like!

It is difficult to believe that you don’t know, or don’t have an ETA for the PWA application. All serious businesses, worked bases on timelines. We can understand that you don’t want to share the exact launch date, but at least an estimate that might help us take a decision of how to proceed with this tool.

You can try our commercial platform https://www.iotinabox.com/ for all the features that you want. Cayenne being a free platform we are bound with certain limits and priorities.

Hello shramik,
Do you have any idea on how that message reads to a customer. That to me says you are not paying for anything so we can treat you and your issue like dirt. That is the worst customer service I have ever seen. Not to mention that if you are going to mention the fact that you offering a paid version of your service still dose not address the issue of this thread. This thread is about a app that you pulled with out notice and replaces with functionality that has not been released yet. Then you send someone over to your paid site where it looks like you have done the same thing as the app for that service is also not available in the App Store. Here’s an idea if you are going to remove an app, remove the links from your site. Or as a said before better to remove it and replace the functionality at the same time, not weeks/months/ and I hope not years later.

I guess it was a small mistake here from my end for not announcing this notice beforehand. I apologize for it. To add, you can look for an alternate free service that provides you with all the features you need.

You need to understand what a PWA stands for and what are its benefits. There is already a PWA for IoTinaBox which is not a mobile app and will not be available on any mobile store.

All links have been removed, can you point me out where it is. Just in case i have missed them and will have it removed.

we will try our best to get it done as soon as possible (no ETA).

Hi all,

We understand that some of you are frustrated with this announcement and we are sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused. The Cayenne team has suffered a significant staff reduction and we had to make difficult decisions to sustain Cayenne. We hear you loud and clear, and we will provide a timeline on the PWA later this week.

Additionally, we are considering merging Cayenne capabilities with our commercial product IoT in a Box. Furthermore, by doing so, Cayenne will have a new home with up-to-date features and streamlined support.

We are working out the details of Cayenne roadmap and as soon as we have the details we’ll communicate it here and by e-mail.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions or concerns

Thanks

1 Like