Bug Filed on 04-04-2016: Hiccups installing Cayenne

1. What OS? (Wheezy or Jessie)

Wheezy 7.10

2. What class/size SD card? (ex. class 10 16gb)

None :slight_smile:
My root filesystem is on a 32GB sandisk USB flash drive on my Raspberry Pi. So way faster than any SD-card and lots of space.

3. What Model Pi? (A+, A, B+, B, Pi2)

B+

4. Please describe the bug / issue. Attaching any relevant screenshots would be very helpful! Thanks in advance.

Hello,
So I decided to try and install Cayenne today on my RPi B+. Overall, it did install and I am able to use the web dashboard so yoohoo for that :slight_smile:

Some hiccups I faced:

Config: RPi B+ running full Wheezy 7.10 (kernel 4.1.13) with root partition on a USB flash drive (32GB, filesystem already expanded)

I have put the entire install log here: myDevices-install-log

I read some of the other discussions on this topic. The problems I faced were:

1. The install hangs at Line 170 (“Installing myDevices agent”). I had to press ENTER and then it continues. Why is this old bug still there?

2. There are 4 places in the log where there is the error: “/tmp/myDevices-1.0/setup.sh: line 162: /etc/myDevices/uninstall/installed_deb: No such file or directory”. Does this affect anything? What’s the cause?

3. I wanted to understand the install process. It seems to be using the ‘/tmp’ directory for build. All later directories are like: “./myDevices-1.0/”. What location is this? Is it referring to this directory within /tmp or somewhere else?

4. Do I need to do any clean-up after install to remove unnecessary files? Since there was an error (point 2 above) referencing ‘uninstall’, how do I uninstall when I have to?

Thank you.

Hello electronicsguy
Try to instalere jessie it worked for me I had the same problems as you.
Lars

We always like when users dig a little bit into the code and try to see what’s going on :slight_smile:

So the short answer here, as @lmjhe2009 mentioned, is to use Jessie. Although it doesn’t seem like you had any blocker issues with using Wheezy.

Is there a requirement for your project that forces you to use Wheezy? I ask because Raspberry Pi foundation no longer officially supports Wheezy…they only offer Jessie and Jessie Lite on their downloads page for Raspbian. Link. As such, we are considering also not officially supporting Wheezy OS too.

To answer your questions:

1. May be if you are using older version of Wheezy. Will look into this and get back to you.

2. Should not affect anything. Will get back to you on the cause.

3. Will need to get back to you on this.

4. No need to clean up anything. We’re working on a method to uninstall right now that will fully remove Cayenne from the device. There’s a workaround at the bottom of this post: How to Uninstall Cayenne - #6 by CrazyCat

Hope this helps!

-B

Thanks @lmjhe2009 and @bestes.

There’s no official requirement :slight_smile: My Rasperry Pi was idle for past 3-4months. I just started it up yesterday to install Cayenne and do some DIY. It just so happens that it has the older OS, that’s all. Do you have any experience in upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie? Can I do an in-place upgrade or do I have to re-install everything from scratch?

I have no experience doing an in-place upgrade. I fortunately had the luxury of just writing the newest version of Jessie over the sd card that previously had Wheezy.

This site seems to offer a ‘not guaranteed’ work around. STICKY: How to upgrade a Wheezy image to Jessie (both defunct and replaced versions of Raspbian) [thus obsolete] - Raspberry Pi Forums

Good luck! and keep us updated on any projects you do.

-B

Hi electronicsguy
re-install everything from scratch it is the best especially if it is via ssh here you can lose the connection when you need to reboot
Lars