Bug Filed on 04-06-2016: Getting email notifications every minute, can't stop them!

I just installed this morning and already have about 30 emails as described. They are being produced every minute. I don’t have the option to just turn the Pi off … it does other things for me and my house. I need a resolution urgently. I will try to change something as mentioned in other’s comments to slow them down but this is very bad. I should mention that I’m not a really experienced Unix programmer so it will be hard for me to diagnose what’s wrong.

Update: I created a filter in gmail to delete the notes so I never see them. This, is not, of course, a real solution since there may someday be some error which needs attention and I won’t see it. Not to mention the gross inefficiency of the procedure. I’m not an expert or anything on this but I believe that if there is no output from the cron job, no email is sent. The solution, then, would be to not produce output if there is no problem.

What is the email that you are receiving?

-B

The body of the email has two lines. They are the same as reported above:

myDevices is running.
webiopi is running.

I have deleted all the emails but I could get more by turning off my filter in gmail if you want me to forward a copy somewhere.

That would be very helpful if you give me a copy of the email to bestes@mydevices.com.

Also, did you do some action to initiate the emails? Like setup a trigger or schedule event?

-B

I will get a new email to forward to you in a few minutes. I took no action to cause the emails. They began spontaneously immediately after the install was complete. I installed using the instructions for the web-based install. It all went perfectly as far as I could tell. I saw no error messages. Eventually, the dashboard popped up and, frankly, I was amazed. I have two DS18B20 temperature sensors on my Pi. These were both recognized and addend to my new dashboard automatically. I have not made any changes to the initial configuration whatsoever. Once I saw the emails, I started trying to figure out what was going on.

I just forwarded one of the emails I’ve been getting every minute. Hope this helps.

This helps, I’ve passed the email to the Cayenne team, thank you!

Would you mind sending me a private message with your Cayenne account login information? This will help us debug where the email is being sent from. If you could also keep you Pi online. Thank you!

-B

I assume you need the userid/password for the Cayenne account login. I’ll send now.

1 Like

If you can try doing this:

type in pi terminal:

sudo su

crobtab -e

and remove the line with MAILTO=“”

Instead of removing the MAILTO= line, I changed the line in the crontab to the following:

" * * * * * /etc/myDevices/crontab.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 "

(I had to add the quotes to keep the line from formatting strangely.) This stops the output and cron will not send an email. Do you see any problem with this solution? And thanks for the help. I didn’t know where to find the file to change. The other entries in that crontab are for maintenance of files associated with the VPN software running on the Pi. I need the MAILTO=“” because some of those programs may produce messages if an error is found.

It’s Markdown → Markdown - Wikipedia

Don’t see any problem with the solution. Glad we got it figured out!

-B

I am also have the bug as described above. Just installed Cyanne 5 minutes ago. Getting email bounces every minute, until I followed the advice above and disabled through sudo crontab -e.

You guys should really look into this with your installer…

Yikes, we’re very sorry about that. Thought we pushed a fix for this. Would you mind forwarding me the email that was getting sent? This will help us track down what issue is. If you could forward the email to bestes@mydevices.com, would really help.

Thanks!

-Benny