Cannot get uno wifi set up with Cayenne

Good Evening
I recently purchased an arduino uno with built in wifi but I am unable to set it up with Cayenne it does not appear in the the drop down box in the dashboard when I am trying to set up the board
I chose wifi 101 shield as my arduino uno has wifi 101 factory fitted

Please refer to the below error message I am new to arduino
Thanks John

Arduino: 1.8.0 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino Uno WiFi”

In file included from C:\Users\John\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino_237773/CayenneWiFi101.h:24:0,

from C:\Users\John\Documents\Arduino\sketch_jan18f\sketch_jan18f.ino:19:

C:\Users\John\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino_237773/BlynkSimpleWiFiShield101.h:18:21: fatal error: WiFi101.h: No such file or directory

#include <WiFi101.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Uno WiFi.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

Welcome @johnmcaveety,

You need to install the Wifi101 library.

Cheers,

Craig

Hi
I have now installed and ensured that "WiFi101 - Arduino Reference " has been installed however I still cannot get my arduino uno wifi set up with Cayenne
I tick the box in step 3 connect your arduino board I choose WiFi 101 cut and paste the sketch I then click done at the bottom of the 101 shielsketch and waiting for board to connect keeps trying to connect to the board
I have left it running for 2 hours but the board does not connect
any furtther advice would be appreciated
I managed to get my raspberry pi connected Cayenne without any problems
thanks
oldvots

I think we should take a step back here and make sure we’re all discussing the same hardware:

Do you have and Arduino Uno with a Wifi 101 Shield
or is it the Arduino Uno WiFi board itself?

If it’s the latter, I would try to connect it like an ESP8266 rather than using that WiFi 101 sketch, since that board uses an ESP8266 for internet connectivity. We don’t have the ESP8266 in our Add Device GUI just yet, but plenty of people here are using them for projects. See this post for a primer on how to connect one.

Hi rsigel
Yes it is the arduino uno wifi I purchased so thanks for the link it looks a bit daunting at present but I wiLloyd make time to set down and have a go at setting it up
Thanose rsigel for taking the time to reply to my post
The reply and advice is very much appreciated
Oldvolt

No worries, I know it’s not quite as clean as picking menu options in our UI, and we plan to have it integrated there in the first quarter of this year. At that time it will have documentation, tutorials, everything else that the other microcontrollers have.

Certainly use us on the forum as a resource if you get stuck or have questions while connecting this device.

Thanks rsiegel

Hi @johnmcaveety I have Uno with Wifi built in too with Developer Edition, and I cannot connect to Cayenne, have you succeeded after reading the post which has been referred by @rsiegel?

If yes, please share your script. Thanks.

Folks,

I have some ideas. Upon further review, this requires a wifi library change (I think) as the board incorporates an I2C to UART expander so the debug port remains free for your programs.

I think we can make this work. Stay tuned. Maybe tonight I can throw together some instructions to try.

Cheers,

Craig

2 Likes

Hello, has there been any progress on this matter ? I have the same issue as initially mentionned in this thread. Thanks !

hello it’s possible to connect the arduino uno wifi with cayenne?

thanks

yes its possible. install cayenne MQTT library and you will find the example.

Hello, has there been any progress on this matter ? I have the same issue as initially mentionned in this thread. Thanks !
I can`t finde the arduino uno WiFi rev 2 in the dropboks…

can you try this code:

This example shows how to connect to Cayenne using an Arduino MKR1010 and send/receive sample data.
The CayenneMQTT Library is required to run this sketch. If you have not already done so you can install it from the Arduino IDE Library Manager.
Steps:
1. Install the Arduino SAMD Boards from the Arduino IDE Boards Manager if you have not already done so.
2. Install the WiFiNINA library.
3. Select the MKR1010 board from the Arduino IDE Tools menu.
4. Set the Cayenne authentication info to match the authentication info from the Dashboard.
5. Set the network name and password.
6. Compile and upload the sketch.
7. A temporary widget will be automatically generated in the Cayenne Dashboard. To make the widget permanent click the plus sign on the widget.
*/

//#define CAYENNE_DEBUG       // Uncomment to show debug messages
#define CAYENNE_PRINT Serial  // Comment this out to disable prints and save space
#include <CayenneMQTTMKR1010.h>

// WiFi network info.
char ssid[] = "ssid";
char wifiPassword[] = "wifiPassword";

// Cayenne authentication info. This should be obtained from the Cayenne Dashboard.
char username[] = "MQTT_USERNAME";
char password[] = "MQTT_PASSWORD";
char clientID[] = "CLIENT_ID";

void setup() {
	Serial.begin(9600);
	Cayenne.begin(username, password, clientID, ssid, wifiPassword);
}

void loop() {
	Cayenne.loop();
}

// Default function for sending sensor data at intervals to Cayenne.
// You can also use functions for specific channels, e.g CAYENNE_OUT(1) for sending channel 1 data.
CAYENNE_OUT_DEFAULT()
{
	// Write data to Cayenne here. This example just sends the current uptime in milliseconds on virtual channel 0.
	Cayenne.virtualWrite(0, millis());
	// Some examples of other functions you can use to send data.
	//Cayenne.celsiusWrite(1, 22.0);
	//Cayenne.luxWrite(2, 700);
	//Cayenne.virtualWrite(3, 50, TYPE_PROXIMITY, UNIT_CENTIMETER);
}

// Default function for processing actuator commands from the Cayenne Dashboard.
// You can also use functions for specific channels, e.g CAYENNE_IN(1) for channel 1 commands.
CAYENNE_IN_DEFAULT()
{
	CAYENNE_LOG("Channel %u, value %s", request.channel, getValue.asString());
	//Process message here. If there is an error set an error message using getValue.setError(), e.g getValue.setError("Error message");```

you need to add the wifi and MQTT credentials which you will get while adding a new device (you can select any device).

@ia_tiger did this work for you?

Some few faults in the code, but after a quick fix it seems to work,
se picture

Hello,
i have the same issues with connecting the Arduino uno wifi to cayenne. I tried out the code you suggested but got this error while compyling:

exit status 1
CayenneMQTTMKR1010.h: No such file or directory

I checked that all libaries and boards are installed as you had adviced.

@aofxfond we are not currently supporting any mkr devices as there are many issue reported with the library for mkr.