Counter widget

Hi,
I want to connect an inductive proximity sensor,
It gives only digital 2 level output to sense the presence or absence of a metal
I want to count that sensor output and once per fixed time period I want to send that count value to a phone as a SMS.
So, my problem is I didn’t see any counting digital signals of your product ?
So, Is there any way to do that sir/madam?

Best regards,
isuru.

1 Like

This is a good example of where a python sand box could be used to create a virtual (Generic Variable) that can then be treated like any other signal within Cayenne. Link it to and from IP and OP and you have a pretty cool gadget ?

How about a screen front box, (front page / icon) that has behind screen layers containing the code ? Even another screen behind that with history / edits / discussion type points. Something like a wikipedia page.

These gadgets can be built up and git-hub-afied etc somehow. I.e.named, shared, listed

~ Andrew
(in his sand box in the corner…)

Hi Isuru,

As of right now, Cayenne does not have the ability of a Counter widget.

Thank you for bringing this up! We have a ‘Meter’ widget we are working on that I think will meet your needs. It will be able to keep a running count. And then you’ll be able to reset the count at specified intervals and send SMS too!

I’m going to change this category to an Ideas / Suggestions so we can implement it. Thanks!

-B

5 Likes

:grin:

hi,
Is this meter widget available to normal usage?
don’t u implement a meter that is used within the raspberry pi , then we can count fastly, because if internet is very slow we cannot detect the fast changing digital signals ?

Any update on the Meter Widget - looking for this functionality in Arduino :slight_smile:

Looks fantastic! Already a big fan! :grinning:
Any idea when a next release is planned with some new feature? :relaxed:

Yes! Yesterday actually :slight_smile:

I know we have not released new features for some time, but that is because we have been developing big features like LoRa integration and MQTT API for last months. We are just finishing up! Hang in there :slight_smile:

-B

1 Like

For a lo tech approach look up www for info as nearly all meteers will have a sweet spot where an external maget rotates where a ‘dry contact’ external magnetic reed switch or mag HES can be placed safely.

Optically you could experiment with the following sort of an idea. With a bit of software you could detect the slightest movement or change movement of a digit with my sort of general purpose dual LDR ‘1 pixel’ camera. I use a picaxe since it is fabulously simple / ratiometric ADC and just a battery and single chip job Add a simple ASK radio module to remote it direct wirelessly into a Pi ttyAMA0 serial port

Placing the LDR at the bottom of black poly irrigation sprinkler stalks drilled out to 5mm (LDR dia) allows for a tight focus or locus of interest: Ant movement at mm or a sheet of A4 paper being waved several meters across the room while rejecting ambient light level changes, ranges, artificial light flicker etc since the mid point resistance / voltage ratio is immune to absolute light level.

With a bit of tinkering and the readadc10 command 10 bit ADC it is easy to detect the slightest movement ‘DIFFERENCE’ and being ratiometric it is almost completely immune to ambient light level fluctuations. (needs daylight / ambient light of course) I have made speed traps for ants etc with this. (it even detects the Direction)

But proof is in the eating… This system could pick up the rotation of my power meter tiny wee dot on the rotating disc of the utility AC power meter from cm away through the box outside window :slight_smile:

~ Andrew

Any idea when release for Counter may happen?
Trying to implement a rainguage :slight_smile:

Hi @tim2,

My hope is before the year ends!

-B

3 Likes

In the mean time i have used a generic analog input on a virtual channel and tied it to a “pushbutton” that resets it and that button resets via a trigger to make it “momentary” - not idea but it works for the time being

1 Like

Creative!

Use a capacitor as a 1 bit long term / volatile memory.
I use a uAmp RF Tx instrument for rain gauge that uses the PIC micro (picaxe-08m2). The dry contact discharges a capacitor. The PIC occasionally checks the charge state on the capacitor and if it registers that it has been discharged by a bucket tip / trip then it momentarily makes the pin an OUTPUT and makes it HIGH and then instantly makes the pin into an INPUT again.
If pin is high then recharge anyway
If pin is low then count / inc and recharge
This way you can get away with realistic nAmp sleep cycles of 30 seconds / minute… depending on how hard it is likely to rain at your place. Could be used for any similar slow metering system
~ Andrew

Hello ! The widget are not available yet? :open_mouth: ,