Esp8266

@rmoscoloni @kreggly @philippethibault @tomixps @vapor83 @priyaranjan391 @HamnaBazmi @adam @jhonathan.lhp @usmcwarmachine @pearl3 @jorge.montalvao @raviunoff @vivekgs27 @mmkameshwaran @cy80rg @tad.dvor @m3mn0t and anyone else who is following along this thread…

We’ve just released UI support for the ESP8266 stand alone. We also supported SparkFun’s Thing Dev board since we recently partnered with them. Check it out and let us know what you think!

You can read about it in our release notes here:

3 Likes

That’s great

My dashboard doesn’t have that “Sharing” Icon. I just have “Overview” on the left, then the project name and the Settings gear on the right. Any thoughts on why that would be?

(Chrome browser on Macbook)

You only can share in the “Projects” tab I believe.

I thought that’s where I was. Am I not? If not, then how do I get there?

The “Overview” button looks just like what @bestes posted above, but I don’t see “Scheduling” or the other buttons. Pardon my Cayenne n00bness…

Never mind – found it. I guess I’ve just been looking at the device page, and I never actually created a project!

They look similar but the advantage of projects is that you can have widgets from multiple devices on the same dashboard. And that you can eliminate things like the default Pi widgets that are not otherwise removable by just refusing to include them in your Project view.

If you have just a single device, you can still replicate it’s device dashboard exactly in a project view to access the Sharing feature.

Glad you found it! And nice looking dashboard!

I’d love to see your projects submitted to our ‘Projects Made with Cayenne’ category if you have some free time.

Cheers,

~Benny

Thanks – that all makes sense.

On a related note, now I’m seeing some unexpected behavior with regard to the “Triggers and Alerts” button on the Project panel. I had some triggers that I created under individual widgets on the device dashboard. Now when I go under “Triggers and Alerts” and then click “My Triggers” I get nothing (visible). Even when I click “New Trigger” and go through everything to add a trigger, then Save, it still says “You have not created any triggers yet” and “My Triggers” still shows nothing.

However, once I went back to my device dashboard, into a single widget’s Settings gear, then Trigger, then “My Triggers” I see the list of all the triggers I’ve created.

Bug? (Or should I post this under bugs/issues?)

Thx – still just playing, but considering how to use this to replace the REST API system I’ve been working on for some home automation/monitoring stuff. I’ll plan to share/submit once I have something real!

1 Like

I think what you’re seeing (let me know if this doesn’t add up) is that the triggers view from a Project tab only shows triggers on your account if at least one side of that trigger is tied to a widget that is in your project view. I.e. if you have buttons A B C D on a ESP on your account, and the following triggers:

1. If A then B
  2. If B then C
  3. If C then D
  4. If A then D

And you only drag Buttons A and D to the project view, then I’d expect you’ll see triggers number 1,3,4 from the project view Triggers button, but not trigger number 2.

You should always be able to view the full account triggers list from User Menu > Triggers and Alerts in the upper right, since it’s not filtering based on project.

Okay – that makes a bit more sense. The only trigger I used with any regularity was based on the “uptime” that my ESP was reporting using the Arduino millis() function. I had not brought the uptime widget over into my project, so it didn’t show up in the list.

That said, when I create a trigger within the project to do an action based on device online/offline, I would think that trigger would show up in the project. It’s not associated with any channel, rather with the device itself. For that matter, I’d expect any such triggers to show up under the project for any devices that had associated widgets as part of the project, no?

I did find the overall “Triggers and Alerts” in the rightside menu, and that works. I guess it’s still confusing to me when “My Triggers” within a project doesn’t show anything, but an identical-looking “My Triggers” button in the settings for a single widget shows all triggers, not just the ones for that widget.

I’m sure this all makes more sense to a more experienced Cayenne user; you’re getting my feedback as a new user finding where things are, FWIW.

1 Like

I very much appreciate the feedback, and I think you’re on to a bug (or at least oversight here).

You’re right, I’d expect a device-level online/offline/shutdown/restart type trigger to appear in the project list if any of that device’s widgets are in the list. Further, it looks like triggers based on the default Raspberry Pi widgets that we create at install time aren’t showing up a project-based triggers list, even when that widget is explicitly dragged into the project.

By all means let us know if you have more feedback or suspected bugs, this is how we’re going to add polish to the product :slight_smile:

@rmoscoloni @kreggly @philippethibault @tomixps @vapor83 @priyaranjan391 @HamnaBazmi @adam @jhonathan.lhp @usmcwarmachine @pearl3 @jorge.montalvao @raviunoff @vivekgs27 @mmkameshwaran @cy80rg @tad.dvor @m3mn0t @beerreason and anyone else reading this thread… I wanted to let you know that we’ve just launched the world’s first international ESP8266 IoT contest! SparkFun and Espressif have partnered for the contest as well.

You can read all about it in the below link. Lots of great cash prizes!

Hope that you will participate,

~Benny

4 Likes

Thanks for tag me. Good news!!! heheheh.

2 Likes

Bumping this old thread to share that we’ve just provided support in our MQTT Arduino library for using ESP8266 as a shield :slight_smile: We’ve done basic testing and works well. Give it a try for your project and let us know how it works out for you !

Here is the updated library on our github:

and the code can be found here:

Is there a diagram that shows pin connection between the ESP and Arduino UNO to use this sketch?

You have to use software serial so it doesn’t really matter what pins you choose. Here’s a diagram I found on google images.

Adam,

Thanks for the diagram , that helps!

But it seems as though I then need to communicate with the ESP the same way I do my Bluetooth card with

Software serial and define which pins are to be used? See below ……

I guess what I’m missing in the Cayenne sketch is what #define ESPSerial Serial1 and ESP8266 wifi(&EspSerial) are doing, is it using default Arduino pins 2 and 3 like the Fritz diagram? The comment says hardware not software serial. I understand Cayenne.virtualWrite as I use that now to send in a Float temperature variable using the Ethernet w5100 shield, so I assume the virtualWrite is using the ESPSerial1 define?

#define EspSerial Serial1

ESP8266 wifi(&EspSerial);

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
delay(10);

// Set ESP8266 baud rate
   EspSerial.begin(115200);
   delay(10);

Cayenne.virtualWrite(3, 50, TYPE_PROXIMITY, UNIT_CENTIMETER);

//**********************************************************************************************

//*** Bluetooth Pin Setup

//************************************************************************************

SoftwareSerial mySerial(7, 8); // RX, TX

// Connect HM10 Arduino Uno

// Pin 1/TXD Pin 7

// Pin 2/RXD Pin 8

void setup() {

mySerial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

mySerial.write(msg);

}

//********************************************************************************************

Yes, ESPSerial1 is what you want to use. Let me know if it doesn’t work, and post the code you are using.