Controller Using NodeMCU for Automatic Lighting Control, Temperature Monitoring in Kitchen

The idea to implement the IoT function in the additional light controller was born after I evaluated the possibilities of the cloud service and mobile application myDevices Cayenne for developing IoT devices on Raspberry Pi and Arduino.

At the moment, the controller is used to automatically control the lighting of the working area in the kitchen, to monitor the lighting level and temperature in the room. With a mobile application (or browser), I can turn on the backlight to full brightness, in real time see the level of illumination, temperature and mode of operation of the controller (PWM mode).

What’s Connected

NodeMCU (ESP-12E)
DS18B20 temperature sensor
Photoresistor
Motion Sensor
LED strip (12 V) with MOSFET

Triggers & Alerts

I set up an email alert on the temperature rise in the room

Dashboard Screenshots

Full description with Schematics, PCB, source code see my article “Controller for automatic lighting of the working area in the kitchen. Part 2 - NodeMCU Version. Schematic, PCB, Sketch” on Radiolocman.com

Soon - this controller with support OTA Update )

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @vadzzsheriff.

Do you have plans to add further home areas to your project? Do you let the motion sensor turn on the lights initially and then just tweak them with the app?

Oh yeah. I have thoughts on extending the functionality of this controller. For example, add another temperature and humidity sensor. I want to realize the automatic control of the kitchen hood, but I still do not know how to implement the algorithm for this. A matter of time … And I want to add a manual mode (from the application) to control the brightness of the lighting.

In addition, as I said in the first message, I implemented and have already tested the firmware update of the controller over Wi-Fi (OTA). However, I will discuss this in more detail later. This, so to speak, the first step to extend the functionality of the controller

No. I realized automatic control of work area lighting. Automatic brightness control depending on the room lighting (two modes of operation: day and night) and the presence of movement. In other words, the motion sensor is the first stage in the control algorithm, then the data on the current level of illumination and its change are used. Further, the motion sensor response signals are used to switch the operation modes.
I tried to comment on the sketch in detail.

You should submit this project to our ESP8266 contest going on right now :slight_smile:

Hi. Thanks, I submit my project.

3 Likes

Nice!