Notifications - how are they supposed to work?

I’m unclear as to how notifications are supposed to work in response to a trigger. I have successfully received an email in response to a value exceeding a threshold but this only happens once. If a value is received by Cayenne which exceeds the threshold again an email is not sent. It appears that the trigger needs to be disabled and re-enabled in order for another email notification to be sent.

Does the notification need to be acknowledged in some way for a subsequent email to be sent?

Thanks

Hi @paul2, welcome to the Cayenne Community.

You shouldn’t need to disable and re-enable the trigger itself to get a second notification, but the trigger condidion would need to cross ‘to the other side’ (for the lack of a better term) of its threshold before Cayenne will send the next notification.

For example, if your trigger is “IF temp sensor A > 100F THEN send notification email” and the temperature values 98, 99, 101, 102, 103, 102, 101, 102, 101, 99, 101 come in, then the trigger should notify on the two that I’ve bolded. The idea is that if it sent on all of the other values over 100, you’d get massively spammed as there could be hundreds of sensor readings in just a few minutes that all exceed the threshold condition.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s clear.

1 Like