Real and Updated table for MQTT data/values

Guys,
would it be possible to have centralized documentation for MQTT?
I mean, I just lost so much time searching for sending my data with MQTT API

First looked at Official MQTT doc

Well, not to blame you guys, but for a sensor, only one example for temperature. So what we do for other values type? just missing values/type table we can send

not really an issue, found table on forum here, but, Oupss I need to send GPS data? how can I send GPS data?

Found on another post here explaining how to do this.

Now I need the same for accelerometer values
is it something like accel,g=[x,y,z] ?

Would it be possible have the final table somewhere or put links where to find it on Official doc?

Thanks for your help

Agree on the lack of some simple py.examples actualy within the BYOD devices section. The Docs section has been Very nicely set out with screen and video capture for C with 4 standard approaches. Nice work.
I have been chipping away with almost zero py skills so it has taken me months to get a clean and simple base level python serial approach for Pi using based on:

git clone GitHub - myDevicesIoT/Cayenne-MQTT-Python: Python Library for Cayenne MQTT API
cd Cayenne-MQTT-Python
sudo python setup.py install

The approach I use does not seem to need any third party patches or extra modules. My py scripts seem to work well. I can post up my naieve draft chippings up if needed. In my case I am “Reading, Pi GPIO tty(Serial) CSV Data, Verifying CheckSum, Slicing ‘Channel Data’ ‘A’ > ‘Z’ (could be x,y,z as in above) and Dicing data to a Float then Posting” This has cracked open a nice serial based approach. A simple and reliable method of posting data into Cayenne BYOD via MQTT. A cron script / patch to delay start on boot is only tweak needed. My test examples have been running solid for month+.

The ‘Serial TTL Pack and Post Method’ here is a modular code + hardware concept: PI GPIO TTL Serial data jumpers hard wired Tx/Rx data and -ve from the micro / sensor / radio of choice. ( A third wire +ve 5v /3.3v cann be used to supply power to the miro / sensor / radio )

This opens up potential for diverse sensors and tech. E.g. long range simple transparent radio devices such as the serial bridge HC-12 (1km), LoRaSerial (10km). This I find is a neat standard modular interface for a diverse range of projects and technology in the lab or classroom. Any micro or any Thing that can emit a comprehensible string of CSV serial data can be fed into Cayenne via the Pi GPIO header. As long as a simple CSV sentence matches the expectaions of the highly hackable base pi py script. Great for education, debugging and learning some low level base concepts: Adding a few py.print line test points to see what is going on, or Installing Minicom and looking at data. Low tech serial I know. But it works.
Handing the data over to Cayenne MQTT BYOD is the exciting part :slight_smile: I love to sit back, and watch the cheerful little green boxes pop up on the browser… That is what we say “The icing on the cake” (frosting)
( I am passing Lat Lon at present and note the float handles down to 5 digit decimal )
Getting data flowing in the opposite direction From Cayenne will take a bit more time at my rate but someone will be able to work out a parallel approach
~ Andrew

1 Like

Hi @hallard04,

First of all, thanks for bringing this up. We ALWAYS want our users to suggest ways for improving the product :slight_smile:

Did you see the table on the docs page? This table should be up to date now.

GPS is a little unique because it currently only supports LORa devices, and is not yet officially working with MQTT devices. That’s why it’s sort of hidden on the forum and not on the ‘official’ MQTT docs table page.

So is that linked table I posted helpful? What can we do to make it more helpful?

~Benny