Showing GPS coordinates on map using sim808 module

Hi, I am using sim808 module to get GPS coordinates. I want to show these coordinates on map using asset tracking api of cayenne. But I don’t know how to start. I am using texas instrument microcontroller. Please guide me how can I achieve this task.

which programming language are you preferring to work with?

Thanks for the response. I am using embedded C.

you have to use this publish code https://github.com/myDevicesIoT/Cayenne-MQTT-C/blob/master/src/Platform/Linux/examples/SimplePublish.c and make changes accordingly that it sends GPS data in [lat, lon, alt] format.

Sorry for asking a silly question. How is the communication is being done at low level? As i have no ehternet connection or wifi connected. I only have SIM808 module.

we have a GSM support library for GSM808 https://github.com/myDevicesIoT/Cayenne-MQTT-Arduino/blob/master/examples/Connections/GSM/GSM.ino you can use it if you want.

Hi, how can I add map on the dashboard when connected to Cayenne Cloud. I am using SimplePublish.c example project for testing. Kindly guide me how can i add map on the dashboard?

you need to send data GPS data to cayenne using:

CayenneMQTTPublishData(&mqttClient, NULL, DATA_TOPIC, 2, TYPE_ GPS, UNIT_ GPS, GPS_data);

where GPS_data should be in [lat, lon, alt] format.

is this right?
CayenneMQTTPublishData(&mqttClient, NULL, DATA_TOPIC, 3, TYPE_GPS, UNIT_UNDEFINED, “33.69,72.00,12”)

Now it is showing a map but it does not shows the marker

it should be in this format:

CayenneMQTTPublishData(&mqttClient, NULL, DATA_TOPIC, 3, TYPE_GPS, UNIT_GPS, [33.69,72.00,12]);

including [ ]

Do I need to refresh the map every time I send a new coordinate?

no, you dont have to if you are sending correct data.

CayenneMQTTPublishData does not accepts data in this format. It gives error because the last parameter is expecting a character array.

this is the code i used with my arduino to create a map and it shows data properly on the map.

float x = 0.5;
float y = 0.4;
float z = 0.2;
  char buffer1[50];
  buffer[0] = '[';
  size_t offset = 1;
  dtostrf(x, 1, 3, &buffer[offset]);
  offset += strlen(&buffer[offset]);
  buffer[offset++] = ',';
  dtostrf(y, 1, 3, &buffer[offset]);
  buffer[offset++] = ',';
  dtostrf(z, 1, 3, &buffer[offset]);
  buffer[offset++] = ']';
  buffer[offset] = 0;
Serial.println(buffer);

Cayenne.virtualWrite(20, buffer, "gps", "m");

I am sending using the following code. It shows the coordinate only first time then it does not updates map. However in data tab I can see the live data coming. But map is not updated
#define TYPE_GPS “gps”
#define UNIT_GPS “m”
if (count == 0) {

if ((error = CayenneMQTTPublishData(&mqttClient, NULL, DATA_TOPIC, 3, TYPE_GPS, UNIT_GPS, "[33.674119,72.996591,13]")) == CAYENNE_SUCCESS) {
				printf("Data send1\r\n");
			}
			count = 1;
		}
		else {
			if ((error = CayenneMQTTPublishData(&mqttClient, NULL, DATA_TOPIC, 3, TYPE_GPS, UNIT_GPS, "[33.695057,72.9755828,15]")) == CAYENNE_SUCCESS) {
				printf("Data send2\r\n");
			}
			count = 0;
		}

As you can see from the image I am receiving updated coordinates every 5 seconds.

i am getting the points as they move. but on refresh they wont be kept.

you are not sending the correct data format.