Support for other sensors

Hi, does the Cayenne support other sensors like ultra sonic sensors (HC-SR04) or other temperature sensors? Or are we limited to the ones offered today…

thanks.

Welcome to Cayenne!

Are you using a Pi or Arduino?

Arduino UNO…Rather new to it as well.

You can use any sensor you want with Arduinos!

To expand on this a bit, there are generic digital and generic analog widgets you can add to read basically anything you send from the Arduino. I believe I saw a while back the Cayenne team is also working on a string widget to pass strings to the dashboard.

And how it goes with the Pi?

You can use the MQTT API for unsupported sensors on the Pi. Here is an example of using DHT11 and DHT22 DHT11/DHT22 with Raspberry Pi

You can take this idea and insert any python code to send values from other sensors.

Hi there,
I am wondering if it is possible to use devices/sensors for LoRa which are not listed under Supported Hardware? I have here a temp and humidity sensor which I would like to connect directly to our loriot network server but the sensor is not listed (Iotsens). Is it possible to write a pharser for this sensor?

@croczey might be able to help you there. Not very familiar with LoRA myself.

Hey @dominik.baumgartner!

Cayenne is 100% device agnostic so you can use ANY LoRa ssensor that you would like, even if it is not officially supported yet.

There are two was to go about doing this.

Option 1

If you are able to program the device yourself, you can create an application in the device that emits data following the Cayenne Low Power Payload. Docs can be found here:

Once your device is setup, simply select Cayenne LPP as your device as show below:

Option 2

If you cannot modify the payload structure of the device, then we will need to integrate it through our IoT Ready Program. If you are the manufacturer you can do this yourself, if not, we will need to get in touch with the manufacturer to have them integrate their device.

The IoT Ready Program device submission app can be found here:

https://www.mydevices.com/iotready

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

-Camrin

@croczey & @adam thank you for your help!
Since option 1 is not possible, we have to aim for option 2. I will check with the manufacturer if he is willing to do the process.

1 Like