Ultrasonic Ranging Module HC - SR04

Hello,
I am in my mind a project, I would like to use the Ultrasonic Ranging Module HC - SR04 ( http://www.micropik.com/PDF/HCSR04.pdf ) to control the level of water in my fish tank.
The module is not available on cayenne yet, I know how to write a script to make it working but I would like to use it with cayenne because I could get more features like interface it with a relay or set up text or email alerts.

Anyone knows how would it be possible to use it with cayenne?

Many thanks

Welcome to Cayenne!

It’s possible with Arduino. You can see an example here SitSat - my personal office chair sitting pattern monitor

1 Like

Thank you very much Adam.

1 Like

@gianfryn the sensor used in my project is for distance measurement in air and less humid environment. However SR04 sensor might work, but will be error prone or corrode faster. There are specific ultrasonic sensor for your purpose: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ultrasonic-Sensor-For-Liquid-Level-Sensing-Corrosion-free-/121917815155?hash=item1c62de3973

Thanks for the suggestion.
I tested it and works great I may use silicone to cover all the circuit around and make it waterproof (no the sensor itself).
There is also this version of the SR04 waterproof but it is not suitable for my project I have only few cm between the sensor and the water. The standard SR04 has a min detection of 2 cm the one waterpoof (see link) has a min detection of 25 cm.

1 Like

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but gianfryn, I was in the same boat of requirement.

And I wanted a sensor that had lesser minimum distance and to my surprise I found out there is a new sensor in town.

It has 2 transducers instead of 1 so it has smaller minimum detection distance as compared to JSN SR04T.

Also its main board is not exposed like the JSN SR04T since it looks properly sealed and is therefore fully waterproof.

Ebay - Fully waterproof new sensor with small blind distance like HCSR04 (a bit expensive since it is new? but very much affordable)

1 Like