Bug Filed on 08-09-2016: Buttons stopped responding, require reboot frequently

What dashboard are you using? (Web, iOS, Android)

Web + iOS

What OS? (Jessie, Wheezy)
Jessie

What Model Pi?

pi 3

Please describe the bug / issue. Attaching any relevant screenshots would be very helpful!

My pi has the following attached: a relay module, a DS18B20 temp sensor, and 2 momentary pushbuttons. I also have a button on the dashboard to control the relay.

The two momentary buttons are meant to be an on and off switch for the relay using triggers. I had to use two because I don’t think that there is conditionals that I can use a single button for on and off.

The main issue is that the two buttons worked fine for a week or so to turn on and off the relay, but after a while they stop doing anything, even though I can still switch the relay using the dashboard switch (and a scheduled timer). I tried rebooting the pi and when it came back on the buttons worked as normal, but stopped responding again when I try it the next morning.

Hi @masonsperling,

Are you see any errors in the trigger log? (next to the edit trigger button)

-B

no errors (just created, updated, ran successfully)

Hi, @masonsperling

Could you grab a screenshot of the trigger settings for the trigger that is failing to fire consistently? I want to see if I can reproduce this to sort out the issue. Even better if you want to take a snapshot of your wiring for me. Feel free to PM me if you’d prefer to keep your project private.

Here are the screenshots of the dashboard, and I can’t take pictures of the wiring right now (it controls the AC in my sons room) but I will try to remember tomorrow.

I hope this helps

Hi again @masonsperling

My apologies for the late reply, I lost track of this one.

May I ask if you actually want physical buttons as an alternate way to control this project? If so I’ll add a momentary button to what I’ve built today and show you the full project. I think one would do.

But if the goal of this is simply to switch on the relay so that the AC comes on when over a certain temperature, then it shouldn’t be necessary to have any buttons at all, just the widgets for the Relay and the DS18B20 Temp sensor.

What I did was then create two triggers:
To turn on AC: IF temp sensor is over X, THEN Relay set to ON
To turn off AC: IF temp sensor is under X, THEN Relay set to OFF

My ‘AC’ for this setup was just a yellow LED but I think the principle is sound, it’s turning on and off via relay every time I point my space heater at it :slight_smile:

Let me know if this helps. If you want some physical override buttons, I totally get it, I’ll help you add those in too.