MQTT API Released!

Hello Cayenne Community!

It is with great pleasure–and lots of coffee–that we are announcing the release of Cayenne’s BRING YOUR OWN THING (BYOT) API. This is the initial Beta release, we are planning on releasing additional enhancements and bug fixes in coming weeks.

What’s so cool about the BYOT API?

• You can add ANY board or device to Cayenne.

• It uses the MQTT Protocol - perfect for IoT devices that get deployed in the field and often run on battery power and on constrained networks.

• It’s completely FREE.

• We have great documentation for you to get started with your device immediately.

Here’s how to get started

And don’t forget to check out the docs section!

Release Notes:

• Downloading historical data is not available yet for devices using the API, but will be available soon.

• Only a select number of data types are supported for this initial release, they are: DIGITAL, ANALOG, BAROMETRIC PRESSURE, BATTERY, LUMINOSITY, PROXIMITY, RELATIVE HUMIDITY, TEMPERATURE, VOLTAGE. There will be many more data types supported in near future. Read about data types here.

• Triggers from a device on using MQTT API to a Raspberry Pi is not working, will be fixed soon.

6 Likes

Great addition :slight_smile:

From what I understand this API is useful for adding custom devices (or services) to Cayenne cloud. I can only assume that arduinos without ethernet or wifi shields cannot be used, usb/serial for example.

If I wanted to connect with Cayenne cloud, only to retrieve data from or set values to current devices/projects (raspberry or arduino) and there associated widgets, is this the API to use?
For example, if I wanted to create a windows universal app for my existing project, would this be possible using the MQTT API?
Or, will I have to create a “fake” device, to get the credentials given by MQTT and from there (using Paho libraries for example) I will be able to access widgets belonging to other devices (Raspberry/Arduinio or project widgets)?

Great I love it :slight_smile:
so we can interface any device with it using IP address? Do you have any documentation to use this widget?

Hi @bilalmalikuet,

Yes you can add Cayenne support for any board using the MQTT docs. Here they are:
http://www.cayenne-mydevices.com/docs/#bring-your-own-thing-api

Do you have a board in mind that you wanted to get working with Cayenne?

-B

I want to use pic microcontroller not any board I have my own development board based on pic microcontroller

Great News!!!
I going to connect all my boards Linux Compatibles, Like Onion Omega, Linkit Duo and of Course my BeagleBone Green :smiley: … and too I gonna try to connect my PHPoC…
Get ready for the good!!! :smiley:

1 Like

How to connect my ESP8266 12-E to cayenne MQTT API dashboard. Even though I included cayenne MQTT libraries , there is no separate connection example for other than Arduino devices like ESP8266.
By this I am unable to connect to cayenne dashboard? Please help me out

I am unable to see MQTT library in Arduino 1.6.12…any idea ? Also if there is any GitHub pls post.

Hi @CH.VAMC,

We just submitted our MQTT libraries to Arduino, so waiting for them to push support in their IDE.

Thanks @raviunoff for posting the Github link :slight_smile:

-B

1 Like

Hanging out to give this a whirl on a platform i use!
Watch this space…

Key Features:

• ATMEGA1280 with 128KB of external paged SRAM memory.
  • Programming in embedded C, C++ or Arduino.
  • DB9F RS232 (UART0) for connection to a PC or other serial device.
  • Serial (UART1) dedicated to a Telit HSPA/GPRS or Gainspan Wi-Fi module.
  • Serial (UART2) Option for GPS with PPS signal and up to 10Hz update rate.
  • Serial (UART3) Option for Iridium, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or other peripherals. 8 bit programmable digital IO bus
  • 1 x NO/NC Relay
  • 2 x OPTO O/P
  • Optional CMOS UART0
  • External Power and Power Good signals.
  • 4W micro-fit PWR = 7-36V + Ignition + Power Inhibit pin + GND.
  • 6W micro fit for GPS mouse or external TTL communications with power.
  • Integrated Lithium polymer battery charger.
  • Automatic switching between internal and external supplies.
  • Micro SD card for non-volatile storage and data logging.
  • 3 Axis Accelerometer.
  • Battery backed RTC.
  • On board temperature sensor.
  • compact 80 x 100mm
1 Like

Very nice documentation, but the page is too heavy and takes too much time to load and display on both Safari and Chrome.

May I suggest to split the page into smaller ones? Thank you!

Okie dokie- I downloaded the CayenneMQTT .zip file from

and I pointed the ArduinoIDE Library loader to the CayenneMQTT.zip file. I can see the CayenneMQTT library files in the ArduinoIDE, -so they are actually loaded… :slight_smile: Kewl. I am awaiting electronics parts…10 more ESP12-e units.

1 Like

Hi,

Any plans on MQTT connections over TLS?

/michael

Great!! :grinning:

Yes, this is something we will be looking into!

-B

Me too. I can’t view any docs in Safari browser. But Firefox works much better.

Yep, we found the issue is predominantly with Safari, until we refactor the docs so all pages don’t load at once, hopefully firefox is acceptable workaround :slight_smile:

-B