Bug Filed on 03-23-2016: Button Widget Delay

1. What OS? (Wheezy or Jessie)

Jessie

2. What class/size SD card? (ex. class 10 16gb)

UHS 1 / 16GB

3. What Model Pi? (A+, A, B+, B, Pi2)

B

I’m seeing an issue when the light switch widget will not update, or take a long time, 15-20 seconds, when toggled. Sometimes reloading the page helps, others it show the wrong state. I’m having the issue in both IE and Chrome. While the button is “updating” I’m unable to change the state.

This is on web dashboard right?

Yes, I’m sorry I didn’t specify.

It’s okay…just released Android app so wasn’t sure…I should probably re-do the template for reporting bugs soon since we now have iOS, web, Android :wink:

Okay, I just checked on my Pi turning on/off an LED light, seems to work with expected response times. Doesn’t look like we’re having any issues on our servers. Does a reboot help?

-B

Benny,

I have seen this also, I just did a test on the web dashboard and timed between 3 to 7 seconds for the icon to update, most around 4 seconds, did maybe 10 iterations. I have seen both faster and slower reaction times and always blame my internet connection.

The next time I get long lag times I’ll see if I can video capture it.

Ian

The LED toggles in under a second when the button is active, it’s just the button being inactive.

Concur, GPIO is almost instant, on screen icon not so much.

Ian

Thanks @Ian … Same for you @jhovak?

Yes, the actual LED and the GPIO indicator in WebIOPi about a second, Cayenne, up to 10 seconds. The GPIO page in Cayenne responds exactly like the button. Is this related to how often Cayenne polls the pi for states?

@jhovak @Ian We’ve imported this into our Task List. 3-7 (and sometimes 10) seconds is considered normal for web dashboard, but 15-20 seconds seems abnormal.

So web dashboard is slower because it’s waiting for a response from the Cayenne agent that’s installed on your Pi to send an updated value of the sensor (such as ON or OFF). The widget will show the spinner until it gets a data-changed event from the agent. The web dashboard gets these updates from the cloud so can take some time…although not usually 10 seconds. Whereas WebIOPi is over your local network, so much faster. (Cayenne app is over local net too).

Did you make any changes prior to this occurring? Like adding a bunch of sensors, or connecting to new network?

-B

I have 5 one wire temp sensors and a hall switch configured at the moment. I never tired it without other devices.

Can you log out, close the browser and clear the Cache and try again?

-B

Same result. I just did a test of 5 on off cycles:

Those are in seconds? So

took 14 seconds for widget to reflect ON
took 17 seconds for widget to reflect OFF

Exactly.

Wanted to follow up here. I have a Pi with 9 1-wire sensors and the button widget is very slow to respond. I suspect it’s because of all the 1-wire devices. We will look into this more. Just wanted to check in and let you know that I didn’t forget!

-B