Help! I'm new. Can't connect Arduino Mega w/ W5500 to Cayenne

So I’m a newbie…maybe a pre-newbie.

Anyways, I’ve got an Arduino Mega 2560 r3 with a W5500 Ethernet Shield. And for the life of me cannot get it to connect to Cayenne.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

• Installed Arduino IDE just fine and running on COM7
  • Downloaded the Cayenne zip…and left as zip
  • Included Cayenne zip to IDE Library
  • Included Ethernet2 to IDE Library
  • Copy/Paste code from Step 3 of 3: select Arduino board connection
  • And I ‘verify’ and ‘upload’ just fine
  • Then click ‘Done’ back on the Cayenne site.

And that’s where things stop. The page just sits there with the ‘waiting for board to connect…’ message. The Auth Token matches what’s in my IDE.

I’m sure it’s just something simple that I missed. However, a newbie buddy of mine is also trying to connect his Uno by using Serial USB Connection and he gets stuck in the same place as I am.

Man, I’m stuck. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Don

Hi Don,

Welcome to the Cayenne community! I hope to get you up and running soon!

What does the serial monitor display? Can you post a screenshot?

To access the serial monitor, click the little magnifying glass icon thing in the upper right corner of the IDE. The serial monitor is helpful because it displays text. Keep me updated!

-B

Hi @don.bahlman,

Don’t worry, we love newbies, that’s why we’re so focused on making an easy to use platform – I’m sorry that didn’t pan out in this case.

My first guess here would be to check in the Arduino IDE ‘Tools’ menu to make sure that the ‘Board’ and ‘Port’ options are set correctly. Though if you’re uploading OK you probably have that set correctly…

One thing that would help to troubleshoot would be to open the Serial Monitor in your Arduino IDE – it’s the magnifying glass icon in the upper right – after clicking Upload, and pasting or PMing me the output (you can X out the IP if you want). If it is successfully connecting, it should look something like this:

[0] MAC: <Mac_address>
[0] Getting IP…
[5827] My IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
[5827] Connecting to arduino.mydevices.com:8442
[6180] Ready (ping: 205ms).

Thanks rsiegel. I’m getting “DHCP Failed!”

If you got a DHCP failed then your Arduino is not getting an automatic IP address. Are you connected to a network that has a DHCP server? Usually on a home network that would be a router or modem.

I believe so.

This is what I’ve got. The Arduino Mega 2560 r3 with the W5500 Ethernet Shield, directly plugged into an AT&T U-verse Router at 45gbps.

In the Serial Monitor, I get “DHCP Failed!”

After editing the IP, Subnet, and Gateway in the Ethernet2 Sketch file, which is what I had to use before it would upload, I now get “Getting IP…” And then it just gets stuck there.

I think I’m getting closer. At least I keep telling myself that.

Keeping the faith.
Don

:astonished: I think you probably mean Mbps, but if not, SEND SOME OF THAT BANDWIDTH OVER HERE!

Can you plug in another drive to see if anything else gets a DHCP address/working internet connection?