Mkr1400 gsm

Has anyone tried one of these with Cayenne yet?
Ive been trying to work out a mix of libraries and commands to try but no luck so far with it!

@tim2 did you check cayenne latest release notes. We have added support to GSM. Cayenne-MQTT-Arduino/GSM.ino at master · myDevicesIoT/Cayenne-MQTT-Arduino · GitHub

Yes saw that - Just have to work out right board / gsm library combo as the MKR1400 board has its own library for the specific MCU/modem combo (MKRGSM). Will have to try and replicate with separate Arduino Zero/CayenneGSM and hope it works. Was just putting it out there to see if anyone has done it yet!

cayenne GSM is based on tinyGSM library and all the board supported by it is supported in cayenne, MKRGSM is one of the supported devices.

I’ll have to try it again as it wouldn’t compile for MKR1400 board when i tried it today

ok - progress as far as it compiles now but still doesnt work

Running the MKRGSM examples the board functions correctly and connects to network etc

Running the CayenneMQTTGSM examples with ublox modem and hardware serial changes made (as far as I can tell modem is Serial1) there is no comms to modem

Running tinyGSM examples - no comms to modem

Something regarding modem module comms with tinyGSM on the MKR1400 isnt working for me - anyone got a suggestion or can confirm correct Serial port number to use?

SOLVED - Just needed more coffee - hope this helps other users trying to user MKR1400

From the tinyGSM Wiki

GSM 1400 board defines SerialGSM serial and GSM_DTR, GSM_RESETN pins that are used to control the GSM module:

#define TINY_GSM_MODEM_UBLOX
#include <TinyGsmClient.h>

#define SerialAT SerialGSM

void setup() {

SerialAT.begin(115200);

pinMode(GSM_DTR, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(GSM_DTR, LOW);
delay(5);

// Turn on the GSM module by triggering GSM_RESETN pin
pinMode(GSM_RESETN, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(GSM_RESETN, HIGH);
delay(100);
digitalWrite(GSM_RESETN, LOW);
}

3 Likes

Sorry for being so dumb, what are the steps in detail to connect a mkr gsm 1400 to Cayenne Cloud?

Thanks in advance

solved the problem:
I dont know why, but you have to install an older tiny gsm version, not the actual one
then everything works fine

of course with the modem triggering described by tim2

@boeingmd11f thank you for the suggestion.