Problem connecting raspberry pi

i am using raspberry pi 2 and using cayenne on my windows pc.
i used ssh. after running the command “.wget https://cayenne.mydevices.com/dl/rpi_lzap6760u7.sh
sudo bash rpi_lzap6760u7.sh -v”.
i got this error :-
Tue Aug 23 17:20:32 UTC 2016 Installing python utils
(60%)
Tue Aug 23 17:20:58 UTC 2016 Installing software components
Tue Aug 23 17:21:00 UTC 2016 Cannot install for Python 3.2.3 : missing development headers\n
Tue Aug 23 17:21:00 UTC 2016 Finished agent code
Tue Aug 23 17:21:00 UTC 2016 ERROR: myDevices cannot be installed - please check errors above

Hi @shramik_salgaonkar, welcome to the Cayenne Community!

Generally when we’ve seen that python error, it’s that you have an out of date build of Raspbian. Please try the following commands, then try Cayenne installation again:

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo apt-get install python3.4 sudo apt-get -f install

thank you rsiegel, i will give it a try.
cayenne is the best for iot projects.

Hi, I got the similar issue.
I tried to install python3.4, but there is no package like this. I tried this guide (however it seems not for Debian):

Finally I installed python3.4.5, but the issue is the same (Cannot install for Python 3.2.3 : missing development headers\n)

Do you have an updated idea how to solve this issue?

Could you show me your output from cat /etc/os-release ? I’m curious if you’re on Raspbian Jessie or Jessie Lite as these are the only Pi OS we currently support with the Cayenne Pi agent.

@rsiegel I am running PIXEL, which is Raspbian actually but it works with latest updates. I confirm.

@benkelaci

I’m also interested in your output from:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
and
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list

and, if you could confirm whether you’d run all 5 of these commands, in this order, and not just the python install one.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install python3.4
sudo apt-get -f install

I think between that and cat /etc/os-release we should have a good hint as to why you’re not seeing that python package.

PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“7”
VERSION=“7 (wheezy)”
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
ANSI_COLOR=“1;31”
HOME_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“RaspbianForums - Raspbian
BUG_REPORT_URL=“RaspbianBugs - Raspbian

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb Index of /raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then ‘apt-get update’ to enable ‘apt-get source’
#deb-src Index of /raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi
#deb Index of /raspbian wheezy main backports
#deb-src Index of /raspbian wheezy main backports

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list
deb Index of /debian wheezy main
# Uncomment line below then ‘apt-get update’ to enable ‘apt-get source’
#deb-src Index of /debian wheezy main

This is the issue. Cayenne no longer supports Raspbian 7 (wheezy).

If you do an install of Raspbian 8 (jessie or jessie lite) on your Pi, I suspect these install errors will go away and you’ll be up and running with Cayenne in minutes. You can download Raspbian Jessie or Jessie Lite and find install instructions on the official Raspbian website at this page: Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi

It seems you are right. The installing worked with the App after I reinstalled the Raspbian with the latest image.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! Thank you for letting us know.