Ads1115

Greetings,
I’m new to the community as well as programming of the RPi platform. I have a project in which I want to use an ADS1115 to utilize a current meter to see if something is on or off. I’ve successfully gotten it to work with the test script and see a result that is exactly what I want; however, upon trying to add it through Cayenne it gives me the “Waiting for data” screen and nothing ever changes. I’ve also confirmed through i2cdetect that it is on 48. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Hi @tom.h.vansteenkiste,

Hmmm. Hard to know without seeing what is happening for myself.

You went through the add device process to add the extension? See attached pic.

~B

Correct, it just states its waiting for data then and if i navigate away
and back to it through the extensions it shows all channel readings at .14
even though only one is hooked up.

So now try adding an analog widget and in one of the dropdowns you should be able to select the ADS1115 extension at whatever channel/pin your current meter is hooked up.

Let me know how that goes.

~Benny

It sees it on that pin already and when I click it is when it shows the .14
value.
Thanks for the assistance by the way

1 Like

Hi @tom.h.vansteenkiste,

So did you add the analog widget? Can you send a screenshot of where the issue is?

~Benny

Not sure why it’s not letting me move the pics around. I’ve included a pic of the GPIO screen, What the extension shows (showing .14 on 2 channels now), a pic of the entire project (sorry haven’t done wire management yet), a closeup of the connections on the Pi and the ADS. Also put a screenshot of the test script from adafruit showing the the sensor works. If I strap the current sensor to something it’ll show higher values too (it wasn’t attached to anything here) and if i disconnect it then it shows a value in the 45XX area like the others.

Cool project, can’t wait to see what it is! Looks like an NES cartridge…

It actually is a spare case I had laying around. I wanted something to house as much as possible and still look clean from the outside. I drilled a hole in the side for the analog in, I notched the bottom for the thermocouple (Max6675 which I have to figure out still) and I’m sneaking the ribbon cables for the relays through a hole in the back (was going to do pins but it became too difficult). My dad is a rockhound and buys several larger pieces of rock (petrified wood for instance) and cuts them and polishes them. He’s begun cutting larger pieces and has a giant saw that he has to watch 100% of the time making sure the right amount of forward pressure is pushing against the rock while cutting. This automation should solve all of that once it’s completed.

1 Like

any luck getting the correct readings on cayenne?

Negative

Where are you still having problems?

hey @adam,
The basic problem is that no matter what analog input level I apply it only shows .17v on widget even when I apply 5v.
First problem was getting it to connect, after many tries The extension showed.

William

Exactly and the test script shows correct data when logged onto the
computer directly.

Seems as though there is a disconnect somewhere but I haven’t a clue. What test script did you use to check there readings? share?

I’m mobile at the moment, it’s the sample reading python script from
adafruit included with the drivers

1 Like

Have you created a widget for the specific analog channel you are using? I seem to remember if you don’t create a widget it will always display some default value.

I have not! I’ll have to try this when I get home

1 Like

@adam I made the widget shortly after adding the extension (adding gave me trouble at first) I have added 4 widgets to cover each input 0-3 and all show .58v. As I remember in the past using the mcp adc that if you input the full range the widget would show 1. That was back when there wasn’t any conversion going on.

William

It doesn’t even let me add widgits at the moment. When I try to choose anything on the device drop down it won’t allow me to select anything.