Help With BMP180 Connected to RPi 3

Hi All,

I’ve been having a hell of a time connecting my BMP180 Barometric Pressure and Temp. sensor connected to the Raspberry Pi 3. I’ve connected it to the Pi exactly as shown in the Docs, added it to the dashboard, but am still having trouble getting data from it. It’s not due to faulty hardware as I tested it with an Arduino Uno with no problems. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

@akers.kenneth66

Kenneth,

Welcome to the Cayenne Community!

I’m sorry to hear you’re having troubles with BMP180, I have had very good experiences with them and I currently have 3 of them running on 2 RPi Zeros and a RPi 2b.

I think the first thing I would do is double check the wiring, here is a Fritzing showing how all three of mine are wired, obviously you can disregard the DS18B20 and the TSL2561-

And here is a similar set up from our friends at Adafruit-

I would then run sudo i2cdetect -y 1 on the RPi, the response should look like this-

A BMP085/180 should show up in the 77 (0x77) position if all is well.

Let us know if you make any progress.

Again, welcome to the Community,

-Ian

2 Likes

Hi Ian,

It appeared to be an issue with my i2c installation. I got it all up and running and could not be happier! Thank you so much for your response and helpful tips. I’m really enjoying Cayenne and I’m excited to see what else the platform will become in the future!

2 Likes

Kenneth,

I would call that progress! Very glad to hear you got it all sorted out! Nothing worse than a project that won’t cooperate.

Temp sensors are some of my favorite as you can see on this project page which is nothing but temp sensors. DHT11’s, DHT21, DS18B20’s, BMP180’s, BM E 280, and a TMP36. All hanging on Arduino’s, ESP8266’s, RPi Zero’s, 2b’s and a 3b.

Let us know how things progress and if you need anything else.

-Ian

3 Likes

Arduino + ESP + RPi, that’s great !
Very nice project view :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Eric!
I could not have done any of this without you and the Cayenne team.

-Ian