FAQ's

We are happy to receive so many questions about Cayenne from you. Since some questions are really popular, we summarized them for you here.

Where can I go for detailed documentation?

We have a docs section that is full of great information! Check it out here.

Okay, I downloaded the app, what do I do now?

First, make sure you have the Raspbian Operating System (OS) installed on your Raspberry Pi. This is the standard OS that comes from the Raspberry Pi makers themselves. If you bought NOOBS, the pre-formatted SD card, then it should easily install Raspbian for you.

Need a little more instruction? Raspberry Pi has a tutorial here that will walk you through how to install the Raspbian OS on your Raspberry Pi.

Second, your Raspberry Pi should be connected to the internet. If your Raspberry Pi is connected to the same network that your phone is connected to, then the myDevices Cayenne app will automatically find your Raspberry Pi and download the agent so you can start building your IoT projects in no time!

Do I have to know how to code to use myDevices Cayenne?..I’ve tried other platforms and they required me to code.

Once our agent is installed onto your Raspberry Pi, myDevices Cayenne takes care of all the coding. This way, you can focus on making!

I hear the term ‘agent’ being thrown around, what is it?

It’s a piece of software that we install onto your Raspberry Pi which allows you to control and manage all of the sensors, actuators, and extensions that you are using in your IoT projects. It also means that you do not have to write any code.

Do I have to be connected to the same WiFi network as my Raspberry Pi in order to control and manage it?

Nope, we connect your Raspberry Pi to the cloud for this very reason.

It takes a while for my account dashboard to recognize that I powered on my Raspberry Pi, why is this?

This is correct. After your Raspberry Pi boots, it takes about one minute for everything to load up. This is normal for all computers.

Will I ever have to pay to use the myDevices Cayeene app or web dashboard?

As of now, no. If we ever plan to charge for anything, you will be the first to know.

Should I turn off my Raspberry Pi when connecting sensors, actuators, or extensions?

Yes, you should disconnect the power from your Raspberry Pi when adding or removing wires. Once you are done, connect your Raspberry Pi back to the power source.

Does myDevices Cayenne work over bluetooth?

Not yet. Please let us know if this is an important feature!

The Remote Desktop feature is not working.

You may need to allow popups for the remote access to work.

1 Like

Anything about gpio config such as enabling serial or downloading webiopi/wiring pi to work with sensors ??

Sorry the question if it’s off topic.

1 Like

So serial is not enabled with Cayenne. Also, a modified version of WebIOPi is installed with Cayenne. If WebIOPi was previously installed on the Pi before Cayenne installed, we’ve seen some issues (since Cayenne uses the modified WebIOPi version.) Did this help? Feel free to ask again if it didn’t :slight_smile:

-B

1 Like

It helped indeed. What I don’t understand is how cayenne interacts with gpio. It only reads the pin state for what I concern. It does not interact with any data sent through so it’s only capable of triggering an alert when the pin goes 1 or 0, is this true?
It’s not like, let’s say, node red that can implement code to read and talk to the sensors?

Thanks

1 Like

It can read data from the pins as well. This is a post on the out of box supported sensors.

To get a sense for what could be possible with Cayenne, check out the projects page here.

We’re also releasing Arduino integration soon, which will further the use cases and possibilities of Cayenne!

-B

1 Like

Sorry, but I don’t see anywhere I can read the data that is flowing. Only high or low pin.
Also, can I suggest to implement also CISECO XRF sensors?they would open an enormous amount of possibilities…

1 Like

Upcoming feature will allow you to read data coming from pins on the Pi. For now, we’ve integrated some specific sensors that you can use with Cayenne. For example, if you want to add a BMP180 temp./pressure sensor, you would wire it correctly and add it to dashboard and it would appear.

-B

1 Like

Wonderful!that’s what I was missing!I will wait for updates to integrate such a feature!
I also can help providing test on ciseco wireless modules since I have a bunch of them laying around. Tell me what to do and when.:slight_smile: #ciseco #ideas-feature-suggestions

1 Like

I have a range of ‘transparent serial’ RF devices that I hope to get working into a serial txt window if this is incorporated within cayenne. I find the serial terminal within WebIOPi really handy for this sort of thing This will really lift the lid for a lot of my projects as would using Pyserial to pass variable data In and Out of the python to some generic virtual variables.
~ Andrew

1 Like

@asher.cohen @picaxe By the way, we recently released Arduino integration. I would think you would be able to get the XRF sensors reading from Arduino?

-B

1 Like

Thanks!i have no Arduino now but i will try the soonest!!

Good job!

1 Like

That would do it. I am just keen to go simplest way as the serial port is sitting there on the Pi already to go.
Thanks
~ Andrew

1 Like

I Want to add some database into my raspberry pi 2. Can someone tell me how can I do this.?
Its a part of my Project…

Hi @syedharis185,

The Raspberry pi forum might get more answers for that question.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

-B

Will there be an offline version? I might be interested in trying this stuff out at work but due to security concerns having an active connection to your cloud is probably not going to happen :frowning:

Sorry for the late reply here @dbrace. For our enterprise users we will allow them to point Cayenne to their servers. Our enterprise users certainly have valid use case for keep data in their servers. Can you reach out to me and we can further discuss your use case? bestes@mydevices.com

-B

Is it possible for me to add more than one sensor and read data using this app?

Yes it is very possible to do this :wink:

-B